1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling your age.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Jul 13, 2006.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

This may be an odd question, but perhaps some of you can help me out.

I turned 25 today. Sometimes, when I'm out covering high schoolers, that makes me feel old. Sometimes it makes me feel like I should be doing something more with my life, even though I'm generally pretty happy with what I'm doing. Sometimes I feel really young, like when I'm cover college athletics and it feels like I'm the same age as them. Then I remember that I'm not.

Maybe it's just me, but it just seems like mid-20s is an odd, though great, place to be.

Anyone else feel the same thing?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1) Happy Birthday, old man.

2) I'm 34 covering high schoolers/local sports. Don't look at it through those goggles. You're a journalist, a writer. Your job is to write. Write good stories. Win the hearts and minds of your base. No difference between high school baseball and Major League baseball: it's all how you describe the action.

3) Enjoy your birthday, old man. ;D

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I did feel the same, although my circumstances were somewhat different. After a medical discharge from the military, I found myself as an assistant SE at an on-the-small-side daily covering preps at the age of 27. And it did make me feel old, especially because it was my first extended sort of contact with people not in uniform and under the age of 20.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

FWIW, it's old WOMAN.

But thanks for the comments.

;)

5. Songbird

Happy birthday, Grandma!

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

UTshooter sounds like something they would serve in a Knoxville bar.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

While we're on the subject of personal issues, I'm curious about the origins of your handle. I mean, when I see UTshooter, the first thing that comes to mind is a guy with a rifle in a bell tower. Please tell me that ain't it. Oh, and happy birthday. 21 makes you an official adult. 25 usually makes you an actual one.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I was going to make another comment on the UTshooter name, but it's in poor taste and you seem nice. Don't want to start a fight with someone over an attempt to make a silly joke.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Austin bar work better? And I have nothing against shooters. They're a fun way to get a buzz.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

12. Songbird

"Whose love is given over-well Will look on Helen's face in Hell; While they whose love is thin and wise May view John Knox in Paradise"
    — Dorothy Parker

Ohhhh, Knoxvillle ...

Draft saved Draft deleted