1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling guilty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

With district, regional and state playoffs coming up, do you find yourself feeling guilty rooting against the prep teams you cover?

2. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

I didn't feel so bad when one team I cover whose coach doesn't let us talk to players ("They're 17-year-old kids, and who knows when they're going to say something stupid"), and is just an all-around prick, missed out on the state tourney. No more dealing with that guy, at least for another year.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope. It's not my job to root for them. And by them continuing on in the playoffs, that's extra work for me. So yeah, let them lose.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

In baseball, I only root against them if they're the visitor.. when the home team wins, everyone goes home earlier!

6. I thought we were going to get a mea culpa of some sort.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Actually, since our department just had two positions axed, I hope to God we get as many teams as possible to state this year. We've been fucked enough, might as well get as bad as possible.

8. Fat fucking chance.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nope. I throw a party in the office when our teams bite the dust. I just make sure to hold back my smile when the kids come in for All-County pictures.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I still enjoy writing the "big stories" about playoff wins, state championships and the like, and people sure enjoy reading them. So, no, I don't root for "my" teams to lose.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It's good when they win, because the stories are more fun to write. It's good when they lose, because my life gets easier. But it's only a couple extra weeks if they keep winning. I can hold out for two weeks once the tournaments begin. The last time one of our stick-and-ball sports won, I talked with the coach, who sounded like he had a cold. I called his house the next night and his wife said he was in bed. Now, this is a guy who can give you 20 minutes at the drop of a hat. Two days later, I found out why when I was flat on my back with the flu. So, winter sports can end at any time, as far as I'm concerned.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be something completely different ...

Draft saved Draft deleted