1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling good about a story as you're writing it--or has your writing matured?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Apr 24, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Re: Feeling good about a story as you're writing it

I'm probably a little weird, but I don't I feel it while I"m writing. When I proof read it and check my notes. If it's a feature, I often write short notes in my notebook like an outline of the order of the story and leave myself a few questions to be answered. While I'm writing I'm actually stressed out a bit about whether I'm putting the story on paper well enough. Afterwards, if I can answer the questions about the detail and tone of the story and see that it flows well, then I feel good about it. I often have to rewrite parts of it or move certain sections around to get it where I feel good about it.

2. Re: Feeling good about a story as you're writing it

The greatest feeling in the world not involving sex or Irish whiskey. Sometimes, on these occasions, I take a long, slow walk just to prolong the moment.
    Except for those moments when you think, "Damn, I'm sailing and this mother is writing. Hope I don't screw up the ending."
    Neurotics 'r Us.

3. statrat

statrat Member

Whenever I feel good about a story, it invariably means I will do something to mess it up.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When I'm feeling good about my writing, the process becomes easier and more fulfilling. Little things jump out at me and I attempt to turn them in to ledes. And when they work...man, it's a feeling.

A couple months ago, I wrote a 1,200 word feature on a NHL legend that friends in the industry and co-workers said was really good. As I was writing it, I knew it was going to be good. The lede flowed, the quotes were great, it was just a marvelous feeling. For the first time, I felt like I had the opportunity to produce high quality stories. A couple nights ago, I wrote a gamer that has gotten some compliments. Specifically, the lede. Friends and coworkers have said, "It's good. It puts the reader there. It's not 'Joe Ballplayer needed a double for the cycle. Team X needed Joe Ballplayer's double to tie the game' cliche-filled tripe." And from there, words just flowed.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I thought I'd bump this back up.

I feel like my writing is maturing, finally getting to a point where I am content with what I produce.

Now, a question for the SportsJournalists.com brain trust: When did you feel like your writing arrived?

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I find that I'm better in one particular genre (outdoors) than others, just because my interest in it is at a much, much higher level.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I do the best I can and try not to worry about it afterward. I wrote a feature that won some awards, but the first three phone calls were from parents of another sport who felt neglected or their diapers were dirty or whatever. Once it's in the paper, it's out of your hands, and obsessing about it only makes you crazy.

A little Rick Nelson zen: "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Generally, when I've liked something, others have, too.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

stiil waiting.

isn't that always the key? i mean, i've long understood that i'm good at this. and yes, it's always been a rush and satsfying to "nail it," whether it be a gamer, feature or column.

but "arrived?" nah. i'm from the woody allen in "annie hall" philosophy: we're sharks. we move forward or die.

that's the fun, no? ;D ;D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted