1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds to get MLB steroid test results

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If it's known that those files contain information of criminal activity, yes. But then, that would seem to be reason enough.

2. No, but the Fourth and Fifth Amendments are deals we make between ourselves and the federal government, and if any of these guys, who took the tests anonymously at least in part because both sides realized that the tests had to pass constitutional muster, get nailed because of the 9th circuit ruling, then their lawyers have a glorious grounds for appeal.
    This one's going across the street from the Capitol, where Fredo's bowling team will uphold this stupidity.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If it's not covered in the warrant, they can't take it. Pretty fucking simple.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So, if your newspaper has a drug-testing program and the feds decide to seize results of those who failed (for pot, heroin, cocaine, whatever), would you consider that appropriate?

5. Not quite. If a policeman shows up at a business with a warrant to seize something they know is there, but "stumble" upon something else they can seize that too. The question for the courts is whether they truly stumbled upon it or were using the original warrant as a way to get more evidence they couldn't get on the warrant.

6. My former newspaper did have a drug testing program. If there were some court case that caused the feds to seize the results, there's a simple way to avoid any problems: Don't use illegal drugs.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is it public knowledge that there's a lot of criminal activity that could help an investigation in those files? Also, there's not much distinction made between the size of the scandals and investigations. If my company is as big as MLB, with a reputation for employing drug users, then yes. But since most companies (including mine) aren't, and typically don't, I don't see how the feds would care to begin wth.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Thanks Nancy Reagan, but that doesn't answer the question. Why do you think that the government doesn't need a reason to search an individual's employment records?

9. Suppose your newspaper had done a lengthy series critical of the serving US Attorney and that gent wanted a little payback.
    OK then?
    And Ralph? That's how the Bill of Rights dies, by the way.

10. It's a question of who they're targeting. We all know the feds aren't going to prosecute any player simply for using steroids, and they shouldn't, much like they shouldn't (and usually don't) prosecute people for using recreational drugs. What they're looking to do is prove that Bonds, Sheffield and others lied under oath when they said they didn't knowingly take steroids. That's the out Bonds has; he didn't "knowingly" take steroids, but if he tested positive, it was because of that damn Greg Anderson.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What is wrong with you?

12. Fenian, in case I wasn't clear three pages ago when we were discussing this before it got all, well, stupid ... I agree with what you say: No one should be prosecuted based on those tests results purely for having used drugs. And I don't think that's what the Feds want to do. To me it's clear they're digging (some would say fishing) to see if they can nail a certain Mr. Bonds for perjury based on those tests, and possibly anybody else, like Sheffield or one of the unnamed players. So in that regard the feds are smart to try and get the results.

Now I would love to hear a more legal view of the matter, as to how many people with a law degree think the court made the right decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted