1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds issue security bulletins on stadiums and hotels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You can't hurt the Royals more than they hurt themselves.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watching that game is punishment enough for the infidels.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't recognize terror alerts unless they're color coded.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe they figure the virgins upstairs will be especially comely if they sit thru nine innings of Lenny DiNardo vs. Mark Hendrickson.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If America is anything like SportsJournalists.com, the infidels can gain widespread support for their cause with a few well-placed backpacks at an AYSO tournament [/ducking]

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why is the administration scaring everyone?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There has already been an attempted attack on a U.S. sporting event. Has everybody forgotten the guy who blew himself up outside Owen Field in Norman a few years ago?

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Anyone ever see that crappy old movie "Two-Minute Warning?" Or its equally sucky cousin, "Black Sunday?"

Thirty-year-old movies and the security at sporting events still blows. Maybe we DO need to focus more on stadiums.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There have been the same warnings about stadiums and hotels many, many times the last eight years - right before the NCAA tournament a year ago or so was one of the more recent ones. This is probably as general as those. It's the same warning as always: something could happen. Which is the case every day of the year. But when I ride the subway every day or go to a mall or stay in a hotel, there's a much better chance that some angry, probably young, bitter loner with a gun is going to do something than a coordinated group of Al-Qaida-backed terrorists who have been plotting for years.

And the question of why something like that hasn't happened yet with a coordinated attack, I'm guessing it's because there simply isn't some large pool of well-trained terrorists in this country just biding their time. And when there is such a group, law enforcement seems to have success finding them and breaking it up. Again, the angry loner no one knows about is much more likely to cause damage.

Of course something could happen, from a group or a single nut. But why worry about it? There are about a thousand things that are more likely to kill you - from not wearing seat belts to choking on food.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

They tried, but Canada was on strike.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The plot of the Showtime show Sleepr Cell involved setting off a device at Dodger Stadium. It did not stretch the bounds of credibilty to think something like that would be possible in real life.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Yankee Fan to get on here and say:

"See? See? Bush issued terror alerts! Now Obama's doing it too! Boogity boogity! I don't really have a point, I'm just trying to say Obama's somehow a hypocrite!"

Draft saved Draft deleted