1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds, grand jury, apparently targeting Armstrong for doping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, no. Johnson's the one who tested positive for steroids at the Olympics. That makes his situation quite a bit different than that of Armstrong, who's been tested countless times and never failed.

And do you have any actual evidence for asserting that Carl Lewis was on drugs? I've never heard any, I'm curious what your basis for that is.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Never tested positive, no, never. USOC cover up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thanks, JC. That's exactly what I was referring to.

Fuck Carl Lewis.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never realized this til an Olympic writer pointed it out to me but there are an awful lot of Olympic track and field records that were set in 1992 that still stand today.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I totally didn't see this coming.

And if Novitzky cared little but for publicity for himself, explain this graph from a NY Times article from Nov. 18, 2007:

Mr. Novitzky declined to be interviewed for this article or to respond specifically to assertions of his misconduct by Mr. Rains. He asked that his photograph not be published, explaining in an e-mail message, “The possibility of greatly diminishing my ability to investigate this case and others arises any time my picture and name are publicized.”

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because he doesn't comment on the record.

And please note that even the "no comment" you point out is calculated to paint a picture of himself as some type of Elmore Leonard character.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

It's amazing to me in a story that includes Barry Bonds, Victor Conte, Marion Jones, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire and now Lance Armstrong that anyone can somehow decide Novitzky is the guy to scorn and belittle. Laughable, really.

8. cranberry

His assaults on the Constitution (and the courts have so far agreed with this) have been far more troubling than anything involving some athlete trying to get an edge. It's about perspective.

And please learn how to spell McGwire.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Jersey--I don't think he's being belittled at all. But he's not a one-dimensional Dudley DoRight, as some try to portray him. The fame of the characters in the BALCO story doesn't change the fact that much of the evidence against them was inadmissible because it was obtained illegally. Doesn't that bother you at all?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does this mean Rick Reilly will play Mitch Albom -- to Armstrong's Chris Webber when it comes to not seeing illegal activity? [/crossthreading]

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cranberry with his typical "He should be investigated." "He is crooked." "His assaults on the Constitution" whenever Novitsky's name comes up.

Cranberry has no proof that Novitsky has ever broken the law or violated anyone's Constitutional rights. He just throws it out there every time the guy's name comes up -- without one fact or example supporting it.

Shoot the messenger. I have no idea what Cranberry's agenda is, but it's obvious.

No one ever targeted by a Novitsky investigation has ever been able to prove their rights were violated. His investigations have led to how many guilty pleas and how many lying athletes discredited? Out of all the allegations about Novitsky thrown out there by the people he nabbed -- Victor Conte, Marion Jones, Barry Bonds -- how many of them were able to walk into court and get charges thrown out because they could prove Novitsky did anything wrong? Zilch. They all allege misconduct. None stepped into a court and proved a thing.

These cases may seem like a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. But making Novitsky the issue yet again, is just another attempt to obscure the fact that if he has evidence that Lance Armstrong used PEDs, it's Armstrong who has been lying to everyone all this time. And Jeff Novitsky has nothing to do with that. He's just the guy holding Armstrong's feet to the fire -- if it is true and he has proof. Let's see what he has and keep the focus on Lance Armstrong, where it belongs. Not the messenger.

12. cranberry

Go read the court decision from Aug. 26 last year and then tell me there's no Constitutional violation led by Novitzky.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3507:ninth-circuit-rules-in-favor-of-mlbpa-over-seized-2003-drug-testing-results&catid=30:mlb-news&Itemid=42

Draft saved Draft deleted