1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds bust PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker and Absolute Poker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Howard Lederer, Chris Ferguson indicted for money laundering:

http://www.subjectpoker.com/2011/09/ftp-civil-amended/

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

oopsie.

this will not end cheaply for any of these 4.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Wow. That's pretty crazy.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the site only had $60m, but owed players $360m?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Borrowed from a poker site I frequent for its excellent chess subforum:

"There is no more Howard Lederer, only Juardo Lederazales, an independently wealthy Portuguese man sipping martinis on a beach in the Caribbean somewhere."

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's probably hoisting a few with Ken Lay.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The funny thing I noticed on the poker message board is half the people seem sure that this news means they are getting their money (as the DOJ will get it for them) and the other half are sure it means they aren't getting their money.

I tend to believe the latter, since their money is mostly gone.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

During coverage of the trial (if there is one), they need to have a percentage next to each defendant's name, showing their odds of winning acquittal.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think this could help legalizing online poker. A site agreeing to pay taxes and agreeing to things like maintaining all deposits in cash or short term secured loans would be more palatable to Congress.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's not the craziest thing I've ever heard and I hope you're right, but I'd be surprised if it comes to fruition.

I wonder if Full Tilt (or Lederer or Ferguson or whomever) is going to try to argue that since the players often choose not to cash out their winnings, they had enough to cover those who do? I read somewhere that many, if not most, winning players keep their money in their accounts and try to build a bigger stake (which they often eventually lose).

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why aren't banks Ponzi schemes? No way they have enough on hand to give all depositors their money should they ask at the same time. Ask Mr. Potter.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Banks have assets to back it up, though not cash. Receivables like bank loans.

Doubt Full Tilt had any assets in lieu of cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted