1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federer to battle Sampras in clash of legends

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fromthebluegrass, May 25, 2007.

1. http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=federersampras&prov=st&type=lgns

Sorry if this is d_b, but I did a search and didn't see anything on this.

Any ideas as to why Malaysia would want a tennis match as part of it's independence celebrations.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. Let me know if Sampras manages to take a game.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Is this on grass or hardcourts? Sampras will take a game or two, but ti's gonna be ugly.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

If Pete holds his own, at least for a while, the comeback talk will skyrocket.

Oh, and he has no shot at beating Federer. On any surface.

5. sportschick

Pete lost to an up-and-coming Federer at Wimbledon when he was still a top player, just so nobody forgets.

And yea, no shot at all, but IMHO he's got a better shot of winning more points on a hardcourt. I could be wrong.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I think grass would be his best shot, and it all depends on how well Pete's serving.

7. sportschick

I saw him in an exhibition last December, and Pete seems to have lost a lot off his serve. Course that was before he started playing on the old farts tour.

But he couldn't beat Federer on grass even when he was one of the top players in the world. No way he'd be any sort of competitive against Federer now on grass.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wasn't the one match at Wimbledon a five-set match? It's not like he was blown out by Federer.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Perhaps not, but Federer is a far better player now than he was then.

Draft saved Draft deleted