1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federer-Nadal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hed was pretty juvenile. "Hehe, look, two guys are hugging! And they speak with foreign accents! They must be gay!" No doubt it's a legitimate beef.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That was my impression. Sounds pretty sophomoric.

ESPN should be better than that.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Right now Federer-Nadal is the greatest rivalry in sports. Nothing's even close.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't have that photo on my home page, nor do I have that hed.

My espn.com pic:

[​IMG]

The hed on the link is "Greatest rivalry of the 21st century?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. pallister

pallister Guest

Perhaps that is what the headline writer was going for. But that's probably not knee jerk enough.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

They've completely changed it from what it started with. I've got no more issues with it...but I do still suggest reading the story. MacGregor's put out some great stuff the last couple of weeks.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. Not even the Leafs-Habs. Or Islanders-Blue Jackets.

8. harbinger

harbinger Member

That sophomoric hed is gone, thankfully.

As for the MacGregor piece, I found it way overwritten. The two best players of our time? No doubt. Of all time? Please. Is there any player who could place the ball with such touch and at such perfect angles as McEnroe? Anyone return serves like Agassi? It's a different game now, and Federer and Nadal are the best at today's game. Not necessarily the best ever in the game.

I don't know how you can write so eloquently and artfully about rivalries without mentioning Yankees-Red Rox, or Duke-North Carolina. Or in tennis, without mentioning Borg and McEnroe, Agassi and Sampras, Navratilova and Evert, to name just a few. That, to me, has always been the best part of tennis: the rivalries that define eras.

Nadal-Federer defines this era. Nice of you to point it out, MacGregor.

Draft saved Draft deleted