1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federer-Nadal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

A great ESPN Page 2 piece by Jeff MacGregor, but I have a problem with the photo/hed on it.

The photo:

[​IMG]

The hed:

I wish I knew how to quit you.

(Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=macgregor/090203&sportCat=tennis)

The implied homosexuality and a hed that doesn't fit the story is offensive to me. I wouldn't mind if they were gay, but they're not. And it distracts from a great read. I kept expecting some sort of reference to it in the story, which kept me from enjoying the writing.

Am I being oversensitive or do I have a legit gripe?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Before I get into the story, isn't the line "I wish I could quit you"?

Gut instinct: the editor probably figured that the line has been used enough outside both the context of the movie and anything involving love between two homosexual men that it could be used as a riff of sorts. Not sure that I'd agree, and I see your point too, but I wouldn't let it affect the story for you.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I can see your point, but the story was so good, I could care less.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It is a great read. The linked David Foster Wallace profile from 2006 is also outstanding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?_r=3&ref=playmagazine

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So why don't you? ;)

It seems ESPN has had some problems with this recently...

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2009/02/espn-drops-nba-ad-after-gay-rights.html

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

well played, gbnf. "i could care less" is among my fave pet peeves. 'cause i'm afraid you COULDN'T care less, diabeetus. ;)

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Wait...you switched our names...his quote was first, mine was second!

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just went on there and at least for me, there's a slightly different picture and a different hed.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The photo is on the espn.com main page, the hed is on the link. What's it showing up for you?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

OK, nevermind. That's what I have as well. For some unknown reason I read hed and thought caption and therefore looked at the caption under the pic in the link. I have the same thing as you.

The story is damn good, though.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd be pissed at them for distracting people from my story if I were MacGregor.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

fixed. i reek of fail. so sorry. :( :( :(

Draft saved Draft deleted