1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federer beats Nadal in Madrid final

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, May 17, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

It's amazing to think that this is big news given that it's No. 1 vs. No. 2, but in this rivalry, with the way it was going, it is. Plus, it's the first tourney Fed has won all year.

Still, I'll put everything I own on Nadal in Paris in two weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-madridopen&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Never mind the Madrid results -- did anyone else catch the Wimbledon Centre Court rededication on ESPN Classic this morning? All I saw was about 15 cents of a blonde soprano in a really low-cut dress singing Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do" in some other language. What a train wreck.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hopefully this will add some intrigue to the French.

I got the feeling after Wimbledon last year Federer was starting to get the mindset of 'What do I have to do to beat this guy?' This can be nothing but good for the game.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Did anybody see SL Price's story on Nadal-Fed in last week's SI? Good stuff.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just read it, agree completely.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/sl_price/05/14/federer.nadal/index.html

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks for the link, GB--I hadn't realized that it was online.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nadal's probably off the board in Vegas regarding winning at Roland Garros. He's such a dominant force on clay, it won't be close. But when he and Roger get to the fortnight, it's gonna be on.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nadal said the stuff in Madrid was very different from the regular clay. Still, surprising since this was in Nadal's home turf. Plus it was best of 3, not 5. Actually surprising only best of 3 given that it was a Masters Series event.

Nice to see Federer get something back but I doubt this means much for the other majors left in the year. Small events rarely indicate what is going to happen at the majors.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

10. John

John Well-Known Member

They're fleece vests, not sweater vests. I'm wearing one today, in fact, since a weird cold spell has come to town.

And yes, I'd put the vests up, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. topsheep

topsheep Member

Big article on Federer-Nadal in the current SI.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We've heard, like five posts above you.

Draft saved Draft deleted