1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal student aid cut once again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 16, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Also Warren Buffett should pay extra voluntarily if he wants taxes raised.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Remember, raising taxes on the richest of the rich is class warfare!

Cutting financial aid to education, the great equalizer in this country since WWII, is just prudent budgeting.

If they're going to cut Pell grants, then why not cut GI education benefits as well? Aren't they an equal drain on the budget?

And if a college degree is being "devalued," then wouldn't that make it even tougher on those who don't have one in the first place?

You must have loved Tige Andrews in Matewan.

3. RickStain

I didn't say it was a good thing. I simply pointed out that the world is slightly more nuanced than "College good, give money for it good."

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Surprise, surprise. They've got to find ways to pay for all those tax cuts for the wealthy.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

So why bother them? All is well. You're where you are because you didn't work hard enough, or your parents didn't. So THEY would say.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dick Cheney loves volunteers so much, he sent them to die in Iraq.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's what I want to know... The economy is in the shitter and state schools have tuition hiked sometimes as much as 10-20 percent each year. How the hell does that happen?

I mean, I know both of my kids will be on athletic scholarship so it won't affect me :D but I feel bad about the others...

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And to make money (Halliburton).

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

State revenue down. State allocation to higher education down. Tuition raised to make up the difference.

Yes, throwing trillions and trillions into additional defense spending makes us safer, but spending more money on Pell Grants, Head Start, more teachersw and other education-related items is a waste because "you can't just throw money at it."

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If kids can't go to college since they don't have money, what should they do? Community colleges have funding issues and slots for vocational programs are limited. For-profit schools exists to fleece to the poor. And we've seen the private sector is unwilling to train workers, and instead, will complain about how education in the U.S. is poor.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then go dig a ditch.

12. RickStain

False choice.

Massive defense spending is wasteful. We do need to improve the education system and some of those solutions will involve a lot of new spending. Pre-K education is an area that is extremely underemphasized and underfunded.

But the generic "make as much money as possible available to any and all college students" solution is poor policy and does nothing but create a higher ed bubble.

Draft saved Draft deleted