1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal shield law is practically here...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Oct 17, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Looks like they had to put in loopholes because of fears (legit or not) about terrorists hiding behind it, and loopholes always give wiggle room. But otherwise, it looks pretty straightforward. They still want to be able to subpoena phone records and illegal behavior is not covered.

The definition of who is a journalist is incredibly vague. It actually doesn't say that you have to make most of your living as a journalist. It says, "a substantial portion of the person's livelihood or for substantial financial gain." If I'm a blogger and I have a Yahoo! ad on my page that paid me 5 cents, I could perhaps not all that unreasonably argue that it is "substantial financial gain." That definition seems way too vague. What exactly constitutes a substantial portion of someone's livelihood? $100 might be very substantial to a guy who works at McDonald's and blogs in his spare time, but might be unsubstantial to a partner in a law firm who also writes a column for the local weekly newspaper.

The Senate version of the bill was way more straightforward (still has the provisions regarding terrorism and phone records and reporters who do something illegal), but it defines a journalist in a much more logical way, without any of that vague "financial gain" language: "The term `journalism' means the regular gathering, preparing, collecting, photographing, recording, writing, editing, reporting, or publishing of news or information that concerns local, national, or international events or other matters of public interest for dissemination to the public."

Is there a chance the final law can still use the Senate's language? Is it worth writing to a Congressman and Senator about it?

2. It's always worth contacting your rep if you're interested.
    Two-thirds of the Congress overriding this and not the SCHIP veto, thereby enabling the people who will be looking at them up close and personal in the local rags back home? Lining up against a program that has 80 approval in the polls but in favor of protecting an industry that's mistrusted almost as much as lawyers?
    My Magic 8 Ball still says, "No way in fucking hell."

Draft saved Draft deleted