1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal Rebate Checks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

$880 was a number I'd heard floated. Maybe I'm wrong. Sorry. :-[

Sounds like a lot of people will use it to pay bills/debt.

Then-- not necessarily go out and rack up more debt? Or maybe they will?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mine will be going straight to Fred Phelps.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If everyone put the rebate in the bank, it wouldn't do a damn bit of good.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Two chicks at one time. Fucking a.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

By the way, you had to pay income taxes to get a rebate check. This means no checks for people who are new to the working world nor for people who didn't earn anything last year.

So, just so I understand it correctly, some couple who made $140,000 last year will be able to buy a new big-screen TV with the government's money. Meanwhile, an Iraq War vet with no legs who survives solely on government checks gets nothing? Is that accurate? Even if it's not, there must be other scenarios that make this just preposterous.

To answer ESJ, married people have just one home, one phone bill, one power bill, etc., etc. Where I live, a two-bedroom house sells for about $140,000. A four-bedroom house sells for about $180,000. It's not double.

Truth be told, I'd like to see the cutoff at $50,000. Then again, I'm not sure I support the whole concept in the first place. Maybe I do. I just don't know. I'm not an economist. It seems to me that puts the fed further in the hole, thereby hurting the value of the dollar and so forth.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's $1500 for a working couple with one kid, right? Not bad.

I'm sure we'll do something practical (snooze) but I'll slice off a few bucks to help support my local liquor store.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I am thinking high-yield CD.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The concept is poor and completely misguided. It will do nothing to alleviate the financial burden that exists. Think about it… what can $600 really buy these days? How much debt can it really eliminate? The same goes for $1200. I’m sure there are families out that that this will really help, but is it really worth it if the lessons aren’t learned?

Some economists are saying that this country needs a recession, and I’m not in total disagreement. How long would our economy be able to withstand the type of debt that is piled up year after year? If the average American savings is in the red, how is this pittance going to help?

There are way too many stupid people out there using money they don’t have to buy shit that they don’t need. Why are they being bailed out?

The government should take this supposed rebate and invest it into the school systems for one purpose: implementing a financial education course. The simple fact that this isn’t taught in the high schools is sad. Yes, it is just simple math; however, far too many people enter college ill-prepared for the problems that come. Maybe it is too late for this generation, but there still might be time for the future.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I won't receive a check but I'm sincerely amazed that by sending out checks the government is able to so easily distract everyone from genuine problems that require genuine solutions.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

He's not getting nothing. He'll continue to get what he's already getting, which is a lot of money from the government.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Define "a lot."

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why are you amazed? The government was able to convince people that Iraq was a problem while Bin Laden was in Afghanistan.

Draft saved Draft deleted