1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal prosecutors on steroids?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Nov 27, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

Are the federal prosecutors on steroids themselves? Debra Saunders at the SF Chronicle makes some good points in this article with a link below. The government has spent tens of millions (likely more than fifty million) of tax dollars over five years to catch what many consider to be "soft" core criminals? Is the benefit to cost ratio simply out of control at this point?

Excerpts:

"The longest sentence served by any BALCO defendant was four months. Anderson served more time for not testifying against Bonds than he served for dealing designer steroids. You would think that not helping prosecutors is the bigger crime."

"I have to question how federal prosecutors work - extending a case for four years (during which Bonds broke the home-run record) when they say they had mountains of physical evidence."

"If they consider perjury to be a threat to the system - why wait years to go after a man whom so many observers believe lied to a grand jury? Doesn't that undermine the system's credibility too?"

"And I wonder why the feds have put so much energy into this case, when there are so many truly dangerous criminals out there."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/20/EDLGTFAQI.DTL

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oh for crying out loud.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Seems like we should have one large creamora running thread.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes, the logic of creamora is so overwhelming, I'm now a believer. Since the federal government is spending so much time going after roid users, they must be on roids themselves.

::)

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Creamora is my friend! Leave him alone!

7. There really is a serious argument to be made as to whether or not this has been a wise use of time and resources.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe so. But the issue, at least with this thread, is that a) creamora started it and b) Prosecutors are using steroids?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is impossible to take it seriously given the approach and the source.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hey, the feds have five convictions with months of sentences. What do you expect for a five-year, $10 million investment?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

For that kind of money and time? Maybe Geoff Blum numbers? Jose Vizciano numbers?

Draft saved Draft deleted