1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal court: Paper money discriminates against the blind

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 20, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The penny might be eliminated from currency, but not because it is worthless. The prices of metal have run up as a commodity the last few years, and it costs more to manufacturer a penny (and a nickel) than they are actually worth. I remember seeing recently that it now costs 1.3 or 1.4 cents to manufacturer a penny, and the coins are actually worth more melted down--even though it is illegal to do that.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thing that I always find funny is ATM machines that have the numbers in braille. If a blind person needs the braille numbers, how are they supposed to see the screen in front of them?

Former QB Jim Plunkett, in his book, wrote about how sometimes people at his nearly-blind father's store wouldn't tell him he miscounted their change and would pocket the extra money.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The drive-thru ATM's also have the braille.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've noticed that too.

I once asked a bank manager about the braille on the keyboard, and she said it was just in case someone could see the screen well enough, but not the numbers on the keypad.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I worked as a cashier at a place for awhile, which obviously involved handling money. No matter how much I washed my hands and how much hand sanitizer I used, I felt like I was constantly getting sick. Now, I'm back to barely ever getting anything. Maybe it's cause I finally built up antibodies to everything, but I'd bet that it's cause I don't have to touch the money any more.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Instead of putting bumps on the money, couldn't they just cut the bills to different sizes?
    Coins are different sizes, so why not make the bills different sizes and then vision-impaired or blind people could tell them apart?
    Or go with slightly different features... have one bill have rounded corners, one bill be a square instead of a rectangle, etc.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That's what they do with Euros and it would probably be a good idea here. You'd have to replace all the cash register drawers, remake ATMs and bill changers. Another thing that would help the blind would be to get rid of the $1 bill and replace it with a coin, but no one wants to do that.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Now, how long would that last in circulation?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

An average dollar bill stays in circulation for about 18 months. Ones with raised markings for the sight-impaired likely would not last as long. If they did, the cost of creating them would certainly increase.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know. It was a rhetorical question.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That and the incidents of identity theft would jack up from all the people using debit cards instead of cash in a cashless and coinless society.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's because when ATMs are sent to banks, they are not designated as "walk-up" or "drive-through".

Bank decides where they go after they arrive. So all are sent with braille.

Draft saved Draft deleted