1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal court: Paper money discriminates against the blind

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 20, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Goddamn but we have some stupid fucking judges in this country.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have a solution, although some might not agree for various reasons.

Eliminate cash entirely. Go to a debit card-based system.

One of the benefits, according to some, would be a big reduction in the spread of germs. I wish I could find an actual science site to back up that claim, but it was a theory I've seen postulated elsewhere. And there apparently is a book by David Gorman which claims the elimination of paper and coin currency would also help cut down or wipe out counterfeiting.

The downside, obviously, would be no more truly "private" transactions since all monetary exchanges would be trackable.

4. What so stupid about it?
    How are the blind supposed to pay an $80 grocery bil at Wal-Mart, in ones? Like Ray Charles.
    Maybe trust the honest cashiers to do the payment for them?
    It ain't like the blind can use coins to pay for large purchases. And all the U.S. paper currency is the same size, with no way to differentiate the values without sight.
    Carry around $80 in one dollar bills isn't the most practical idea either.
    In the elctronic age is it a lot easier to get away with not using cash, but it's completely possible.
    It may seem stupid on its face, but it's probaly something that should have been addressed years ago.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't doubt that there's some merit in the decision, and you're right, Evil...surprised this wasn't decided a long time ago. But as an everyday issue, wouldn't you think sight-impaired people would make the necessary like adjustment to go cashless?

Anyone want to place bets on how the Supreme Court will decide this?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another downside is the possibility of increased fraud, identity theft and assorted cybercrime.

7. Absolutely!
    But that isn't always possible. Espically in rural areas and small towns.

And we are talking about something everyone in America needs to function ... currency.

Should the blind - in light of things like ADA - be forced to make these adjustments?
    Currency is printed by the Federal Governmnet.
    So yeah, In THIS CASE, I think they should have to make this kind of a concession to the blind.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So they put some Braille bumps on the margin of the bills. Big deal. Can't be too hard to engineer at the mint.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Your last sentence explains why the idea's wholly unpalatable, to so many -- especially given the severe attacks on personal privacy in recent years.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess I still favor the idea of eliminating actual currency, despite the possibility of governmental intrusion. You'd have thought I'd be more mistrustful at this point, but I just can muster the cynicism.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Although, obviously, blind people have figured a way to manage their money for the last two centuries. I would agree this is a good idea, and I'm surprised this hasn't been dealt with years/decades ago.

Not sure the debit card is a complete failsafe for the blind. What's to prevent a clerk from slipping in an extra twenty/fifty/hundy cash back in a transaction? In some regard, the blind have to count on the goodness of humans, more so than most.

And currency won't be eliminated any time soon. We still have the frickin' worthless penny floating around, serving as paperweights in coffee jars, piggy banks and other containers of the like. When the penny has been removed from circulation, come talk to me about eliminating currency altogether.

Draft saved Draft deleted