1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal commission recommends 40-cent increase in gas tax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We're stuck with the highways, certainly. But why are we stuck with 110-year-old internal combustion technology? With sufficient demand, we could have all sorts of viable alternatives rolling out from the factories in two or three years. It'd be a patchwork of fuels at first - ethanol, biodiesel, hybrid, plug-in, etc. - but in a decade or so, we'd have sorted out a lot of what works and what doesn't.

We need to stimulate demand for better technologies. If gas at $8 a gallon is the only way to do that, then so be it.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And the railroad system you and Inky describe is the one we had in place 60 years ago - before we dismantled it. We just need the political will to remake it.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Indeed. What is this "mass transit" some of you speak of?
    [/20 miles from nearest town of at least 10,000 people]

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It ain't three guys in a pickup truck.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you discourage people from driving, and you're successful, how do you build funding for the other forms of transportation? Wouldn't the funds dry up?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Put 'em in this: a 700-horsepower biodiesel pickup.

[​IMG]

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/10/willies-willy-700-ponies-of-pure-unadulterated-biodiesel/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Like all transit systems, whatever we develop as alternatives - trains, subways, buses, monorails, etc. - eventually become fare-based and self-sustaining to the degree possible. It's not like the subway in New York, or the bullet-train to Osaka, are free.

And it's not as if we have to do away with the personal automobile - we just have to figure out how to make it work without gasoline.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What difference does it f-ing make? If this effort fails they will raise taxes on something else and then squander the money anyway on all of thier idiotic pork projects.

And people will still go to the voting booths in November and vote in the same idiots from the one-party system we currently have and complain for four more years about high taxes, wasteful spending and the shrinking value of a dollar.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A ray of sunshine wherever he goes.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I knew this thread was missing something.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I guess I am becoming cranky in my old age. The bottom line is we have had three new taxes forced upon us in the last year in my neck of the woods -- all of them on so-called "luxury" or "sin" items and all of them designed to bail out a failing infrastructure and bankrupt mass transit.

It is total bullshit but they can get away with it because we allow them to because most Americans are arguing over whether Johnny and Steve can get married and other idiotic non-issues than dealing with real issues that matter.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I agree, Zag, and I become crankier and more radicalized with each passing year.

But the only way to get better, smarter government is to demand it. To fight for it, to work for it, agitate for it.

I post on threads like these mostly to remind myself of that fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted