1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal commission recommends 40-cent increase in gas tax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Be grateful it isn't worse. $8.59 a gallon this week in the Netherlands.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can make a cross-country drive in the Netherlands on four gallons of gas.

Three gallons in a Prius.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Plus how much of that is tax revenue for some of the programs there?

And how much does the Netherlands depend on goods being transported, within its own borders, more than a thousand miles? What a ridiculous comparison.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Higher gas prices are good for the country long term. We are too dependent on foreign oil and need to find alternatives. We are now in a war because of oil. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise.

From an environmental standpoint we also need to cut back. U. S. Automobiles are responsible for 1.5 billion tons of CO2 gases annually. CO2 is chief culprit of global warming.

Higher prices will force the issue.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As bad as this sounds, the U.S. auto industry has proven time and time again that it certainly isn't going to innovate, and we do indeed need to cut back our dependence on oil. If nothing else will compel change, I don't know what will.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In case you missed it, higher prices have already forced the issue. Gas prices are double what they were five years ago and are a large part of why the economy is struggling the way it is. Now, when people are finally starting to adjust their patterns and getting used to higher gas prices, let's arbitrarily spike the price ANOTHER 40 cents overnight. Yeah, real fucking smart. I swear, sometimes it's like their trying to see how close they can dance with the dragon before it bites them in the ass. And with the tax hike tied to inflation, there's no repealing this thing. It won't sunset. It'll never go down. Just more wasted money that won't end up where it's supposed to.
    Did these people learn nothing from the near-revolt when gas hit $3 a gallon a couple years ago? You can explain it away and calm folks down by citing market forces. There's at least some legitimacy in that. When it's taxes that cause the price to spike, and it's transparent, people will not stand for it.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

While I certainly would applaud quite a few things that might help break our dependency on oil, pollution-producing industries, etc., this blows ass. For those of us who don't live near cities with mass-transit systems, our car allows us to...you know...work. And for those who would say I should move closer to work....blow me. It's not an option.

I moan about this because it would take the affected industries YEARS to do something about it. And in the meantime, the rest of us get screwed.

Oh...and somehow, thinking about the Dutch paying out the ass for gas doesn't bother me so much. I mean, they have prostitution and weed.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

He said that? Really? Nice straw man.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ridiculous in what way - other than our perpetual sense of American exceptionalism? It's not like the average Netherlander earns three times what we do in order to afford the more expensive fuel. Nor is a mile traveled in a car in Holland any longer or shorter than it is here. And while the difference in price is almost entirely based on a higher fuel tax, the revenue is spread across all sorts of infrastructure and transportation options. Which makes it easier for the Dutch to park their cars altogether - in the manner of most Europeans.

Nearly every advanced western economy but ours taxes the hell out of gasoline. Doing so promotes mass transit, provides incentives to manufacturers to build more efficient cars and trucks, stimulates development of alternative fuel sources, is better for the environment, and keeps those countries from having to go to war in the Persian Gulf whenever the needle starts to point to 'E'.

As to whether or not it works as a point of pure economics, consider the current relationship between the Euro, the Pound and the Dollar.

As to the higher costs associated with freight and shipping across long distances, you're saying that because our demand is higher, the price should of fuel be lower?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

jgmacg, I understand what you're saying. But I also think the relative size of the Netherlands should be considered.

If I lived in country half the size of Maine, then gas prices wouldn't be that of a big a deal to me.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Then consider the entirety of the EU. Which is fairly large, has high gas taxes from one end to the other, and is in the process of kicking our ass economically.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

J... I'm a big fan of mass transit, and use it to get to work as often as possible, to the chagrin of Tom Coburn who is personally holding up a bill that would infuse more federal money into the system that I and millions of federal workers use day in and day out.

Maybe it's just the local bureaucracies here, but there are two mass transit projects that have been talked about here for over a decade that haven't seen one shovel of dirt because of a combination of nimbyism, but even more so, money. Our country staked itself to a road-based transportation system. I suppose it COULD break that, but people don't want unreliable, late and crowded buses to be their main source of transportation. And that's just barely outside the beltway. And getting new rail systems up that are cost-effective and can handle the throngs of people is easier said than done, apparently.

And the bottom line is, people, at least in Virginia, aren't willing to tax more today for better mass transportation in the future. And mass transportation simply will not work in a large swath of the country either, which happen to be among the lower income areas as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted