1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal commission recommends 40-cent increase in gas tax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.kansascity.com/679/story/445492.html

So, I guess their way of unclogging the highways is taxing gas to the point that nobody drives?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . let's flush the economy and the middle class FURTHER down the crapper.

Douchenozzles.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm OK with this, as long as my cheap newspaper raises how much it pays us per mile. It would be really good if the Feds said the states get the money, but x-amount of it must go toward building/improving mass transit.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is one of those things that the renowned "limousine liberals" who live IN big cities just love, because it feels good, rakes in cash, and won't affect THEM.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah...no.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And I guess the idea of using the tax and toll money that's already being collected to pay for our roads in the way it was intended instead of to build fucking bike paths is a non-starter...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love the idea. Of course, I've got a lot of railroad stock.

8. Armchair_QB

Which doesn't matter because the airline lobby will kill any chance of quality passenger rail in this country.

Hell, Southwest Airlines by itself effectively killed off a high-speed rail link between Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Houston a few years ago.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hartford wants to build a high-speed railway link from Bradley Airport to both New York and Boston. Not sure how that's going to go over.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Actually, if we built more bike paths and rode our bikes more we wouldn't need toll booths. Not to mention how we'd help the enviroment and save thousands of lives a year.

Sounds like your car is driving you. You've got to simplify maaaaaaaaaan.

11. Armchair_QB

Uh, sure... Bike paths will fix everything.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Obviously that national commission never took Economics 101 or missed the lecture about how increasing taxes during a time of economic distress could result in worse conditions.

Idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted