1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fed Ex Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tour Championship starts today at East Lake in Atlanta. 5 guys with a chance to win the whole enchilada.

I've never liked the way the Tour does the Fed Ex Cup........with the whole 10,000,000 going to an annuity or retirement package.

You know what......put 10 million dollars in cash right by the first tee. Here you go boys........go get it.

Just my .2

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is that right? They don't get the prize money like any regular tour stop? That's BS.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought they did away w the illusory annuity.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I should have rephrased that. Not all of their fed ex cup winnings go into a retirement account..........but a good chunk of it does.

Still. Put 10,000,000 in lettuce in the fed ex cup bowl.........that gets some attention.

5. JackReacher

Have bikini-clad models walk it out to the first tee surrounded by shotgun-toting marshals, like the WSOP.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

from WWL

Asked on Wednesday about the $11.48M prize for the Tour Championship, Rory McIlory said: "Luckily, that amount of money doesn't sort of mean much to me anymore. ... I mean like it's nice to think that you could win 10 million dollars this week, but that's not what excites me. It excites me to play well and to try and win."

Yeah.......when your NIKE contract pays you north of 20 million per year......and all of the other endorsements and stuff......good spot to be in if 10 million doesn't trip your trigger.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a hard time summoning up irritation if the best golfers get paid $10 million in cash, or by annuity.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They get the full $10 million. It started out as an annuity but the IRS, for whatever reason, had tax issues. The stopped using the annuity thing after the first year (2007). You guys should try to keep up.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Again, no chunk of it goes to a retirement account.

10. JackReacher

I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it either way.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I stand semi-corrected. It's $9 million in cash and $1 million in the players' PGA Tour retirement account.

Draft saved Draft deleted