1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FEC Complaint on Fred Thompson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

A liberal activist today lodged a complaint with the Federal Election Commission against former Sen. Fred Thompson, R-Tenn., contending that Thompson's "testing the waters" committee has long since surpassed that designation and that he, for all intents and purposes, is a candidate for president.

This is not without precedent. Previous pre-candidates who tried the "testing the waters" committee -- including Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., Rev. Pat Robertson, and Rev. Al Sharpton -- invited FEC scrutiny.

The rule is pretty simple. If you spend more than $5,000 on campaign activities, you're a candidate, whether or not you've officially declared. The question is what constitutes "testing the waters" activity, and what constitutes "candidate" activity.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2007/08/is-fred-thompso.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fred waited too long. Buh-bye.

Candidate or no.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

"Washington outsider" or not, this immense douche has an oiliness factor and patina of bullshit that are the equal of any beltway lifer.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

And who would want to use an oily douche, never mind the patina.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Time to do some more pro-choice lobbying, Fred.

6. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Fred looks soooo old... not that there is anything wrong with that (well maybe there is).

7. jboy

jboy Guest

I like his comment that (paraphrasing) you shouldn't "confuse the lawyer with the man", or something like that.

So, you're saying that for the right price you can put your morals and personal beliefs aside? OK.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Fred Thompson: living proof that powerful ex-senators with young hottie wives have a raging sense of entitlement that must be doused (that goes for you too, George Mitchell).

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As I've said before, Fred Thompson will never be a serious candidate for president.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Like him or not, Thompson will be a contender as long as he doesn't flub the debates. There's not a lot of top-notch competition out there. His rather undistinguished Senate record will be fodder for the other candidates to rip into, but he doesn't carry the baggage that some of the others have.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He won't have the stomach for it, won't have the work ethic for it and won't have the ambition for it.

This whole "waiting to declare" thing is genuine cold feet, methinks.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This faux-macho patrician assclown gets me so irritable, I mix my metaphors like I'm making a very complicated paella.

Draft saved Draft deleted