1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feature Story Idea

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 1, 2008.

1. There is a basketball coach at one of the schools I cover who is also a state police officer. I'd like to do a feature story, but don't want it to be stupid. I was thinking of writing about how the two jobs overlap, etc. and would be welcome to any advice.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you have the time and if he lets you, spend a day trailing him, from his shift in the cruiser to basketball practice.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

We did one last year on a girls softball coach (male) who is a corrections officer in a state prison.. 7 a.m.-3 p.m. with inmates, 3:45 on ther softball field coaching teenage girls.
    Had our guy spend most of a day with him -- restricted access at the prison -- and contrast the experience.
    Worked out pretty well.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If he is able to leave work early for practice, games, etc. with a wink and a nod, rather than going through officials channels to get the time off, it could be tricky.

Also, I don't know that being a state trooper/coach is any more difficult/interesting than being a banker/coach or insurance salesman/coach unless the state trooper responsibilities leak over into his coaching.

I.E.: He ever pull over dangerous drivers while on a road trip, have players in trouble with the law, have to break up a fight/argument in the gym, etc.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Is there enough interesting about this one guy to make him the whole feature?

I can see some angles in it - does that kind of community work help him in his relationship and understanding in his enforcement duties - but unless there was some good drama - he had to arrest a kid from either his team or a competing team, etc. it might run out of steam.

Maybe you can look into the occupations of other coaches in the area. There might be more of an overall piece with perhaps the state trooper as the main subject.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, I don't know how it is where you live, or where the original poster lives, but where I come from, coaches are coaches. I don't know many who work two jobs. So the thought of a basketball coach who moonlights as anything is intriguing to me.

To the original poster, I say go for it, if you can. Even if the piece turns out to be just a "day in the life" sort of piece, I think it would be interesting and well-read in your area.

EDIT: Actually, I recall we do have a basketball coach who moonlights as a preacher. One of our prep guys did a story on him. And it was pretty great.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

There are a few angles here.

He must be disciplined in one job to deal with the public and expect discipline from his team to succeed. How do those overlap, or do they?

One has incredible stress and the other can be stressful, but on a different level. Coaches bring a lot of that tension on themselves. Does the coaching help him chill out after being a trooper?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some states/school districts allow "citizens" to coach teams and not teach full-time at the school. It's a lot more common with the cross countries and soccers of the world rather than football and basketball, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted