1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feature for Thursday ... PLEASE read!

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by pressboxramblings07, May 23, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I once started a story about a meth addict and her struggle to get clean with a few lines from u2. So I know what you are thinking with this. I believe my editor might have pulled them off the lede and set them in their own box with attribution to Monsieur Bono.

You let your idea guide your story instead of letting your story generate the ideas. That happens. In this industry, you have to learn to be skeptical of your own stuff. What you should have done was to make the point you wanted to make in one or two sentences and then find a way to fit it into the story.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Two nitpicks -- I'm not sure about the word "semantics" in the sentence about his musical taste. And I'm not sure it's ironic that he's named Cannon because he's "on fire" this season. Cannons fire stuff, and people have cannons for arms, but cannons are not "on fire."

Draft saved Draft deleted