1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feast of the Seven Fishes---Updated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Yes, eel is just like chicken except that it's, you know, eel.
    And I say this as someone who eats more squid than any man seen....

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Eating lutefisk is like going to the depths of hell, fishing something out of the outhouse and noshing on it. I am shuddering from the memory of my full-blooded Norwegian grandfather making that shit.

Someone once forwarded me this. It tells the truth.

3. Enough aquavit and I'd eat nails.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'm trying to figure out my own version of the feast of seven fishes when the parents visit Cougarguy and I this weekend. Over many Christmases with my big fat Italian family :D, we did a modified version of the feast of the seven fishes ... but Baltimoreguy's takes the (crab) cake!

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm Italian. I'm also Roman Catholic. And yet I have never heard of this until today.

I have no clue what to think about this. Lobster ... on Christmas Eve?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank God I was born Baptist and in the South. Seafood....shudder.

Still, I like the idea of the tradition, and honestly it's one of which I'd never heard. Thanks for sharing it with those of us not in the know.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

can you substitute bass for baccala? If so, I'm all in.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't even know what lutefisk is but by the sounds of things, it's not good.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That sounds fucking revolting.

I amend my original statement:

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is the money passage...

The fish will swell during this soaking, regaining a size even bigger than the original (undried) fish, but the protein content paradoxically decreases by more than 50 percent, causing its famous jelly-like consistency.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Damn Zeke, that's enough to make a guy puke on his keyboard. :-X

I like eel in sushi. Never eaten the cooked stuff. When I was a teenager I was obsessed with the "Quadrophenia" album and film, which mentions eel pie several times. One time, in homage to Townshend's compelling tale of mod angst, I got all fucked up on stout, put on a 60s jacket and skinny tie and took a train from London to Brighton. But I didn't eat any eel and I didn't throw a scooter over a cliff. I guess it was kind of a half-assed tribute.

I've always wanted to marry into an Italian family for the food aspect. Hasn't happened yet, though. Isn't likely to happen as long as I'm in this heavily German part of the Midwest. I miss Boston at this time of year. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted