1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear the Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 24, 2015.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused that the soldiers were routed by the zombies during their road trip with Travis, though.

In TWD, the Rick's rag-tag band can hold its own wearing civilian clothing and using knifes and rebar.
    In FTWD, trained military personal wearing flak gear and helmets and using military-grade firearms are routed from an office building after losing the bulk of their personnel.
    I realize there's a big difference in experience level when it comes to handling zombies based on the earlier vs. later timeline, but it still doesn't seem feasible.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My only guess is the zombies are stronger since they are fresh? But yeah. I see your point.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Having read World War Z, the military getting routed early on isn't so far fetched. In the battle of Yonkers the military learns the hard way that old tactics don't work anymore and they get routed. And in TWD you see military members in full gear having turned, so it might just be people had to learn how to actually fight. In TWD, everyone knows you have to get head shots. The military might have been trying center of mass kills rather than aim for the head, then got into bad positions and couldn't fend them off fast enough and/or didn't have a knife or other secondary weapon when bullets ran out.

I also read far too much into things, so there's that too.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I got that during the riot and earlier scenes. They didn't understand the headshot necessity.
    But the military people know about the traumatic head injury necessity at this point.

They know they're walking corpses. They know they speared the contagion through biting and scratching. They've got full gear and weapons. They should be able to clear a building or beat a tactical retreat when the numbers are too large.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

IIRC, over the radio communication when Travis is in the jeep, you can hear someone way they are being overrun, there's too many of them.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not bad.
    I called the boat as soon as Strand suggested going west.
    I've got to say, though, the Strand character, what little we've seen is more than a little over-wrought.

All in all, I enjoyed the season.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man, they brung it with ep. 6 Brah!!!

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Are the walkers in the water called *swimmers*?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They're probably not going to call them 'walkers,' according to exec. producer on 'Talking Dead' after the finale.
    They've been calling them 'the infected,' but next season they will have a new term now that all the characters understand they are not just sick people.
    Exec. producer talked about how Rick's group calls them 'walkers' and the Gov. called them 'biters.' He said they will coin a phrase for these characters, and he is open to input from fans.

11. sostartled

sostartled Member

This episode felt more familiar. We're used to situations where there are a ton of walkers and it's chaos. The episode when the infected neighbor was standing in the road? That was scary to me.

All in all, I liked this a lot, and I'm excited for the Walking Dead next week.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Is that what was in the water? I honestly couldn't tell what was in the ocean.

Draft saved Draft deleted