1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear the Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not just action I'm looking for. I'm looking for the story to feel like it has momentum.

I get frustrated with shows that want to spend 60 minutes setting the table or simply providing context or investigating character.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They should have revealed everything in the first 60 minutes. Setting the table is for idiots who don't understand TV.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There were two zombie attacks and there was one fight to the death among two human beings. It wasn't like there was no action at all in the episode. I didn't love it, but it is worth giving a shot.

Also, the creators are certainly expecting a large part of the audience to be people who watch The Walking Dead, so there isn't quite the same urgency you might see in other pilots.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Here's the problems with all the complaints -- the premise of the show is about what happens before/at the start of the downfall. How can you be upset when the whole point of the show is to not show zombies because they don't exist yet?

HC likes this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had a similar reaction, like, "What the hell kind of shirt is that supposed to be?" To the directors' credit, though, it worked well visually as he ran out of the church. I thought that kid did a nice job acting, particularly as you kind of see the withdrawals gradually setting in toward the end of the episode.

I also really like Cliff Curtis, who plays Travis. Oddly, he often plays latino or Middle Eastern characters, but he's actually from New Zealand and is of Maori descent.

Ace likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It worked OK. I think the director was making the kid look like Jim Morrison and really drive home that the kid was strung out. Nick had a good Morrison swagger going which helped the look.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's definitely worth a shot. I didn't like the first episode of TWD, either, but it got much better and turned me into a fan.
    I will keep watching and hope it improves.

What's the timeline here? Two weeks before Rick wakes up? A month?

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, I don't love all the characters at this point but I'm fascinated to see how the world devolves. Conceptually, this interests me a lot more than TWD proper.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

One of the producers said Rick was out 4-5 weeks, and the first season of Fear will be over about three weeks but won't catch up to the point that Rick wakes up. So really we're talking a few days to a week after Rick was shot in the WD's first episode.

sostartled and spikechiquet like this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's helpful.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good stuff, JRoyal.

JRoyal likes this.
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good episode. Not just better than the premier, but good all around.

And that episode goes directly to my point about the first, you don't need a ton of zombie-fighting action or have to "give away" the season in the first episode in order to have pace and tempo to the episode.

The Stepford fans should look at that second episode and think, 'Wow, why wasn't the premier like that?'

Draft saved Draft deleted