1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear of a black NFL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Feb 3, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Now that African American's will have a reason to celebrate with having an African American coach win the Super Bowl, will that translate into more African American choices for head coaching jobs both professionally and especially collegiately, where the numbers are awful?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Probably not.
    Recruiting, fund-raising, and booster relations are such a big deal at the college level that the typical anti-social, watching film 18 hours a day lifestyle is a much better fit in the NFL.
    Plus the money is better in the pros and you don't have to recruit.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Eventually it will trickle down.

When good jobs consistently go to black coaches there is real progress. When a black coach takes over a USC, FSU or an Alabama and it's not a novelty then we can say progress has been made.

The NFL has strong record but the BCS schools, SEC and Big 10 I'm looking in your direction, don't seem ready to make the leap to the 20th century.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, Denny Green was coach at Northwestern all those many years ago.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Personally, I just hope we soon reach the day when a coach is hired and it's all about that coach and what he did to get the job and not the amount of pigment in his skin.

It is indeed a big deal that, for the first time, there are black coaches in the Super Bowl, thus a black coach will lead his team to a title.

I'm constantly frustrated by decisions I have to make at work sometimes so that it doesn't appear that we're slighting one race. Why? Because otherwise, I never think about whether a guy is black or white. I just don't care either way.

I'm happy that a good coach who happens to be black now gets chances at NFL jobs. But now that it's true, it should no longer be a big deal.

I understand that people in the black community take pride in the milestones, I do. But I also take pride in being colorblind and teaching my kids that a person's race isn't as important as who they are as a person.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Great post Ondeadline. When two black coaches go for the SEC title and its treated just like when two white coaches do, it will truly be a great day.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

To be honest, I didn't even think of the black coach angle until the media started shoving it down our throats. Boots, my generation is, for the most part, colorblind.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually think the pros are doing a pretty good job...

It's college football that has been completely disgraceful...

9. boots

boots New Member

Wicked I hear you loud and clear. I share that sentiment. Unfortunately, there is a large segment of Amerikkka that doesn't.
    When the BCS involves two black coaches, perhaps this race shit will go down the toilet where it belongs.

10. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

My generation is colorblind. What planet are you living on?

Racism is still rampant. Perhaps it's better concealed than in the 1960s but it's still there. There are many examples nationwide - Texas, a black man is dragged to death by a truck, in the South many, many fraternities proudly adorn their T-shirts with the Confederate Flag and obnoxiously racist slogans (at Auburn and Clemson they were blackface at parties and put them on myspace.com)

I'm sure there are examples in the North and Midwest but I don't live there.

I wish all of us can be ignorant, blind or pompous to say "my generation is colorblind." Is it, really? Be honest.

We wish it were the case but it isn't.

There's no homophobia in this country too right, because my generation is so accepting.

11. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Northwestern is who we THOUGHT they were!

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

You wanna crown them, go ahead and crown their asses!

Draft saved Draft deleted