1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FDA to propose new food labels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This may be the greatest Ragu keyboard jerk-offs of all time

My favourite:

People don't need the FDA to tell them how to eat -- something people have been doing for millions of years with no problem. Eat an apple. Or some milk. Or some broccoli. Or some bread made from whole flour, water, yeast, salt, etc. It has worked for how many thousands of years?

Yes, because people are eating the same apples, milk and broccoli in 2014 that they were eating two hundred years ago.

Unbelievable

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And the secret publication must be at least 5000 words.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

An enlightened expert would consistently acknowledge how much he has yet to learn on a subject.
    We get a blizzard of words and sleight of hand with evidence that often goes unnoticed within that.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This thread has reminded me how much I really like Spaghetti-O's.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The estimate the FDA itself put out with the new rules proposal was a cost of $2 billion up front (and then claimed a $20 billion to $30 billion in unquantified savings in the next 20 years).

It may end up being more, in reality. It may be less. But it will certainly not be costless or nearly costless. One likely effect is that rather than raise prices on people, the packaged food industry will lower the portion sizes in the boxes.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A full accounting of the ingredients in your food product should be built into the cost of doing business.

Keeping poison out of our food, or at very least letting us know they're trying to poison us and with what, is the absolute minimum standard a company should be held to.

And fuck them - $2 billion spread over that many companies, again, to bring such onerous transparency to their products, is nothing. If that's not worth it to you, nothing is and you exist solely to fuck as many people out of as much money as you can before you die.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The new proposed FDA labeling -- with random information someone deemed necessary to nanny people into making "healthier choices," which will replace the old random information that was necessary to make "healthier choices" (even as people have gotten unhealthier since those labels were mandated two decade ago) -- has nothing to do with "keeping poison out of our food."

This isn't a food safety issue.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can you point us to the control group in this rigorous academic study that indicates labels do not have any impact on people's healthy eating choices? Can you also point us to the demographic breakdown that you surely possess that shows that labels have been ineffective, even harmful, across the board? I presume you have it on file in the same place as the study about how healthy people were a thousand years ago when they ate tiger marrow for breakfast. Thanks much.

You don't care about policy. You don't care about what happens in the real world, where the rest of us live. Everything you spout is from your sterile libertarian petri dish, where the complexities of a world with 5 billion people interacting don't muck things up for you, and you don't have to actually present data other than that which comes out of the reliable studies that Ron Paul conducts inside his cranium.

I get it. You read "Atlas Shrugged" when you were 17, and three decades or so of intellectual commitment to a very particular worldview is a lot of work to put in to start suddenly welcoming nuance into things. And facts. And, look, I get why this is an attractive philosophy/religion to adopt. In internalizing it, you get to welcome the idea that you are special, and those who don't succeed to your degree are not as special as you. I would have a difficult time abandoning that, as well, should I have stumbled upon the work of Ms. Rand at an impressionable age.

The real world, with transaction costs and collective action obstacles and predictably irrational behavior, operates quite a bit differently. I love the free market. I believe in the free market. I attended a university that is the center of free market thought.

But I take it for what it is: A really helpful starting point.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't spend Valentine's day together. He had a boys weekend in the desert, while she was skiing with the girls.

I smell trouble.

10. Dick Whitman

Shi-iiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Valentine's Day.

With children.

Shi-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

(In other words, if you and the wife ever have children, come back here and let us know how committed you guys are to celebrating Valentine's Day together.)

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just as an aside, how many people ever do this?

You'd think Madoff would have been a perfect candidate, but he stuck around. I don't think folks ever think it will end, and don't want to give up the cash flow.

Florida businessman/lawyer/political donor/Ponzi scheme operator Scott Rothstein ditched for Morocco, but he came back voluntarily, and is now in jail:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/rothstein/

I can't think of too many who have taken in a pile of money, illegally, and then gotten away with it by moving abroad. (Marc Rich and Pincus Green were outside the reach of the law, but they were already living abroad I believe, and their crimes weren't frauds.)

12. Dick Whitman

There's an old high school basketball coach turned politician in my neck of the woods who would occasionally grant the paper phone interviews from Greece after he was convicted on federal corruption charges.

Draft saved Draft deleted