1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FDA to propose new food labels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Instead of telling me what what my line of reasoning is . ... and posting about every thing you can think of to conflate this with other things, such as lung cancer from cigarettes or salmonella poisoning from bad meat. ... things that this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH. ... why not stick to what I actually HAVE said?

I can type this 1,000 more times. This has nothing to do with ANY harm that anyone has caused anyone else. It has nothing to do with any false labeling. Nothing to do with any kind of consumer fraud.

It is the FDA putting product design and labeling constraints on products that have never harmed anyone, have never lied to anyone about their products, never made a misleading or false claim.

This is just arbitrary bungling -- tat a cost. Has the original food label really done anything to solve any "public health concerns," or has it actually, as many suggest, really misinformed people about what is important in their food and created an even greater aggregate health problem?

We shouldn't have to debate that, because people should have learned by now that relying on some authority to try to design the world creates bigger messes.

Yelling, "public health crisis," doesn't address the simple fact that intentions are NOT results.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Then you will be wrong 1,000 more times.

That stuff harms people. They make misleading claims all the time (LOWFAT! GLUTEN FREE! REAL SUGAR!). Lies, that's a gray area, but there are plenty of people who believe there are indeed lies.

When Europe banned sodium in snack foods, for instance, heart disease fell dramatically. Yet our treats, even the ones labeled "low sodium," are well beyond the danger threshold according to those studies. How is that not harming anyone?

3. The Big Ragu

Ha.

1) The new regulations have absolutely nothing to do with labels such as lowfat, gluten free, etc.

2) The FDA ALREADY created those nutritional claims (and what you have to do to put those things on the label) that you are complaining about!

The FDA is fucking up food labeling exactly the way you suggested. My original point. The same points people like Michael Pollan, Marion Nestle (I am not appealing to authority; read what they have to say and judge it on its merits) have made over and over again, even as your public health crisis has gotten WORSE with every random and arbitrary FDA rule.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you don't know how harmful sugar substitutes are, you're free to earn a nutritionist's degree and study them yourself.

Otherwise, shut up, eat it and continue to slowly kill yourself. There's money to be made.

The reason I become less of a libertarian as time goes by is because I've seen enough to know that NO ONE will be MORE altruistic when nobody is looking. If laws don't protect us against certain things, nothing will.

You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, Rick's right, it's not worth it. Miracle of the Marketplace, baby.

I'm just glad we are never going to live in the world Ragu dreams about. Someday maybe he'll realize what that world would look like and be glad about it too.

6. MisterCreosote

We should go back to Poison Squads. They worked just fine.

And, it was those people's choice to test the chemically enhanced food to see if it would kill people.

7. The Big Ragu

That makes no sense to me.

Don't ever buy a car, unless are a car expert or you can build one from scratch, too?

How harmful are sugar substitutes, by the way? Can you quantify it and spell out any conclusive cause and effect relationships?

If you are looking for the FDA to be your expert, by the way. ... bad choice. What happened to the proposed ban (they are the authority) of saccharin under the Delaney Clause?

8. MisterCreosote

I'll take the FDA over you. You can't quantify shit either.

9. The Big Ragu

The point was that I may personally never put any saccharin in my body (I don't). ... Not because anyone has (or can) quantify something as imprecise as "how harmful" it is for me. Including the FDA, which recommended banning it, even though Congress overruled your authority that you want to cede your decision-making to. . ...so is STILL on the market. I guess noted earlier authority Theodore Roosevelt had actually been wrong when told the head of the USDA that "Anybody who says saccharin is injurious to health is an idiot."

At the end of the day, saccharin is a relatively new synthetic substance that NOBODY has a perfect handle on. And all the false authority and selective information about it in the world doesn't change that. We don't know what unknown effects there are to eating it. If you eat it, buyer beware.

Personally?

I'm not a mindless slug hoping for a bureaucratic authority to pretend it is making the world safe for me -- so I feel good about my decisions based on their authority.

I make my own decisions based on what is important to me. I want no part of saccharin, for example. For *me* (and anyone can disagree if they choose), common sense tells me that eating whole, natural foods is probably way smarter. If I choose to eat processed and synthetic products, I suspect am taking chances that I don't fully appreciate.

That is neither here nor there, though. Disagree if you want. If you choose to eat saccarhin, for example, that is *your* choice. But the FDA can't dictate anything about how it is labeled that makes it anything but a roll of the dice for you.

The products the FDA randomly targets, and what random edicts it comes up with, don't magically make the world safe for everyone. It is just costly. ... and in fact, I'd still argue they have created more harm than good in actual effect.Telling us saturated fats, no wait, trans fats, no wait, carbs, no wait, actually its the sugars, are the key to eating.

Either way, make your own decisions about what to eat based on whatever factors YOU feel are important.

It isn't a matter of who you choose over me to nanny you. *I* am not the one who wants to arbitrarily regulate everything for you.

10. MisterCreosote

In this case, I'll choose a bureaucracy pretending to try to make things safer over no one thinking twice about poisoning me unless I ask them not to.

Your way is the way to ensure poison is allowed in food. My way gives me at least a fighting chance.

If you think companies shouldn't have to pay for burdensome "truthful labels," is there anyone who can pay for the scientists we want to better understand all this new stuff? Or, is it only constitutional if we all become scientists and do it ourselves so we're not depending on government? Or, are you going to argue again that no one is clamoring for more information about what's in their food?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every single mother fucking company which manufactures food labels has layout programs on which the labels can be changed on a keyboard (and undoubtedly will be, by some flunky in Bangladesh working for 50 cents a week and a cup of rotten rice).

The TOTAL cost of changing labeling will be measured in single-digit dollars per product. Existing stock on the shelves will be grandfathered in. Go sleep it off, professor.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cup of rotten rice. LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted