1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FDA to propose new food labels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Come on, Ragu. You know the answer to this. You're the most economically erudite person on this board. Collective action problem. No individual is incentivized enough to demand this on his or her own. Nor does a single individual have the power to do so. Also asymmetry of information. You can't demand what you don't know is bad for you.

And your argument against sugar labeling is terrible. They used to say fats were bad? OK. So, therefore, all further research into nutrition, by scientists, is rendered useless? This is the global cooling argument, redux. It's terrible. People used to think the earth was flat. Then they said it's round. And even though they were wrong before, I tend to believe them this time.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If there is consumer demand for that information, people can reward those who provide the info on the label by buying their products.

It's no different than any other transaction you make. If you are concerned about what you are getting (whether it is a can of motor oil or an egg roll), you don't make the purchase without being satisfied.

We're not talking about false labeling or consumer fraud or manufacturers misleading consumers. We're talking about arbitrary regulation that mandates something people could choose to demand (with their purchasing power) if they wanted to pay a premium for it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

According to the research behind this, the $2 billion it costs to implement the program will return $30 billion in health cost savings.

Is your opposition based simply upon your rock-ribbed libertarian principles? Or are you swayed at all by a hypothetical efficiency argument?

4. The Big Ragu

The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There should be no restrictions or warnings about smoking. If people want to know about the product, they should just call the tobacco company.

6. The Big Ragu

The act is particularly glib and dumb.

But I will point out, AGAIN, that we aren't talking about civil liability issues with regard to products that have harmed people -- such as cigarettes.

Let's say my baked kale chips have NEVER been accused of giving anyone lung cancer. And IF that ever happens, well, I know that we have a civil legal system capable of addressing liability issues when a product harms someone -- and I know I will pay a price. And if I still try to sell my harmful chips even after it is proven that they kill people, I KNOW that I will be liable for it. ...

Not that that has anything to do with the FDA putting an arbitrary regulation on my business that tells me what my product label has to look like.

But conflate something that has NOTHING to do with fraud or civil liability (and everything to do with arbitrary regulation) with every unrelated fraud and civil liability thing you can think of.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not being fucking poisoned by our food should be a fucking given, not something we specifically have to ask for in order to make it happen.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/19/ayn_rand_is_for_children/

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yeah, after I've made a few hundred million on tainted chips, I'll run away to some desert island and your legal system will never touch me.

So much for the system libertarianism designed.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The fact that you consider the tobacco issue of the last 50 years to be one of fraud and civil liability, and not one of public health, tells us everything we need to know about you in this conversation. And based on what you're saying here, I can only conclude that if we were sitting in 1966, you would have been dead set against a warning on tobacco products, because there is all kinds of information you COULD have on a carton of cigarettes and why pick out only that one thing? The scientific conclusions were still being argued vehemently by the industry (which I'm sure you were happy to let self-regulate) and by their buddies in Congress well into the 1990s.

Under your line of reasoning, there is virtually no law in the United States that should exist.

--Why should McDonald's be required to sell salmonella-free food? If enough die from food poisoning, the populace will just go to Burger King instead. And lawsuits!

--Why should used-car dealers be prohibited from rolling back the odometer? When enough people realize the dealer's cars suck, the dealer will surely go out of business. And those people should be popping the odometer out and checking it before purchase anyway.

--Why do we need laws for the proper disposal of paint? After Sherwin-Williams ruins the water in an entire region or is caught filling tankers and dropping its waste out in the ocean, consumers will rise up and put them out of business, and that's that.

There is plenty of evidence from Europe that regulating certain foods greatly improves public health. But since that interferes with capitalism, fuck it.

You're always about the unintended consequences, including with that pithy little quote you posted. You should spend some time thinking about what the world would look like if you actually got your way.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It won't help. Libertarianism is a brain disease for which no cure is known. Fortunately, the sufferer can still live a mostly normal life, as the most serious symptoms are a complete inability to influence elections and a slight chance of losing your life savings in a Bitcoin scam.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Being in favor of increased civil liberties is one thing.

Supporting companies' rights to be free of laws against serving poison or other harmful ingredients as a matter of practice is something else entirely.

Draft saved Draft deleted