1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FDA to propose new food labels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why not a breakdown of each of the nutritional components of each of the complete list of ingredients? -- we can make the label an encyclopedia of random information. What about the sourcing information about each of those ingredients? I can't be truly informed if I know the don't soil that something on the list of ingredients was grown in. Oh, and a really big one. Seriously. What about contaminants? They are excluded from complete lists of ingredients, but if I need to know the complete list of ingredients, shouldn't we mandate that the label spells out every chemical contaminant, heavy metal, PCB, perchlorate, etc. that can be found in the food?

I can go on and on. It is random, because you are making up subjective standards about what people need to be "informed" about. And again, I ask, if people WANT that information. ... why can't they demand it themselves rather than some bureaucratic authority randomly and subjectively deciding what makes a consumer informed and what doesn't?

That said, as well. ... This new rule has nothing to do with a complete list of ingredients. It is a whole new and random scheme (changing the old randomness), with an emphasis now on sugars. It requires testing. Which costs money. And dictates product labeling. It will cause hundreds of thousands of already established products to now bare the expense of new packaging.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Your argument is valid if you A) assume companies don't already know what's in their products, and 2) they already have an infinite amount of the same packaging produced so they never have to modify it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not random. It's a perfectly reasonable place to draw the line for these purposes.

What you are arguing, essentially, is that they shouldn't put a hitter's Avg., HR, and RBIs on the screen when he comes to bat, because they don't also list his SB, OBP, and 2B. Or, even better comparison, how many home runs he hit on May 16. Or how many bases he stole on June 3. Or what brand his bat is.

Not everyone's a foodie.

4. Dick Whitman

Indeed.

People used to live way longer back then.

5. The Big Ragu

I'm not arguing anything of the sort. I am arguing that a governmental authority shouldn't MANDATE that a hitter's avg., HRs and RBIS be on the screen when he comes to bat.

If people are interested in it. ... well, the reason that that info is on the screen is that the people who produce the broadcasts do it to meet the demand for it. Not because someone mandated they have to do it.

6. The Big Ragu

Indeed because life span ONLY has to do with what you eat. Nothing else. Just that.

7. Dick Whitman

You are arguing that the information on the label is "random." That it's useless.

It's not useless. Nor is a batting average. Even though I don't know how many triples the batter has.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, you're saying that no one, anywhere, has ever shown interest in how much sugar or cholesterol they're consuming? It's just a concern the FDA invented because it's bored?

9. Dick Whitman

Indeed because life span has NOTHING to do with what you eat. Noting else. Just that.

Your argument is that people ate fine for thousands of years.

They didn't. They died when they were like 30.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think food labels should look like those little fold out warning and directions labels that come with prescriptions. Buy a can of SpaghettiO's, and the label makes like an accordion that stretches about 9 feet and tells you everything from the soil conditions where the wheat was grown to the number of valence electrons in each atom of sodium.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ragu went long on sugar futures yesterday.

12. The Big Ragu

In my first post, I called it useless, and tried to give evidence of how meaningless the labels are to most people. ... as well, as how the selective demonization of certain nutritional components in the mandated labeling has led to categories of processed that have created whole other consequences (which are now being addressed with new rules!).

The randomness of it is separate and inarguable, though. Why the emphasis on "sugar" now in the new rules? Why not put complex carbohydrates in bold on the label instead? Or instead of one type of carbohydrate, why aren't we singling out a random protein, say caseins?

I can break down food into a gazillion nutritional components. Why aren't 1,000 other things not mandated?

That is what I mean by random.

And once again, if this particular information is so important to consumers. ... what exactly has ever stopped them from demanding it themselves? Why does it need to be mandated?

Draft saved Draft deleted