1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FDA issues warning, recall on Hydroxycut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 2, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You know, the weight-loss product that's been advertised on TV everywhere for the past few years? Eh, not so good:<blockquote>WASHINGTON – Government health officials warned dieters and body builders Friday to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a widely sold supplement linked to cases of serious liver damage and at least one death.

The Food and Drug Administration said the company that makes the dietary supplement has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least 9 million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said the agency has received 23 reports of liver problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy living in the Southwest. The teenager died in 2007, and the death was reported to the FDA this March.

Other patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver. The patients were otherwise healthy and their symptoms began after they started using Hydroxycut. . . .

Public health researcher Ano Lobb, who has studied Hydroxycut and other dietary supplements for Consumer Reports, said the problem may be an ingredient called hydroxycitric acid. Derived from a tropical fruit, it's been linked to liver problems in at least one medical journal study.</blockquote>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_he_me/us_med_diet_pill_recall_14

EDIT to correct slug due to manufacturer's use of Y as a vowel.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, eating less and exercising more is still safe and still effective.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

You know, as a fat man for many a year, I've never understood the quick fix fascination. Smallpotatoes is right: eat less, exercise more. There is no substitute.

4. But, but, they had a DOCTOR on that commercial!

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

anyone ever used any of the products? a friend used to, but quit after a short time because her doctor told her not to use them. this was sometime last year, and am sure her doc is aware of the recall as she is.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Still will not kill you:

[​IMG]

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Two friends of mine, a couple, used and it really did work wonders. They both dropped a ton of pounds (the guy was like 350 before and 260 or so after). Both stopped using it because Pete found that it left his heart racing or something like that. But they did keep the weight off.

Any liver damage they suffer is more likely to be caused by the mass quantities of alcohol they used to consume.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Never tried any of these quick fixes or supplements of any kind. I don't need an FDA warning to tell me that taking all kinds of goofy concoctions cooked up in some lab isn't a good thing.

9. vicd

vicd Active Member

Why can't people loose weight the old fashioned way, with smokes and laxatives?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but who will you sue then?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Been using something called Amplified Muscle Igniter 4X from GNC, which is more or less an all natural supplement loaded with caffeine (400 mg per dose) that's a metabolism jumpstart. Again, it would be worthless unless you actually paired it with exercise and eating well. But I've noticed a difference in my caloric burn and how much energy I have when I get to the gym. I've dropped some weight, but not a drastic amount. I just wanted to get more out of my workout, and this stuff has seemed to work pretty well.

I had heard way too many shady things about Hydroxycut to want to try it. About six years ago, I did a cycle of Ripped Fuel when it still had Ephedra. Uh, not smart. Young and dumb, I suppose. But I survived at least.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This was as surprising as the ending of Titanic, or that Grizzly Man documentary.

Draft saved Draft deleted