1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCS Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not to mention CP has a receiver named Ramses Barden. Ramses ... great name.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Mason's club team is already playing a handful of NCAA schools each year, right? Would that change the process for them as far as moving into the CAA?

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't know if there's a process for entering the CAA specifically, or if it's something the league visits with each school. With ODU and Georgia State, they're playing two years of independent before starting conference play, though looking at ODU's schedule for next year (a combination of low end I-AA, non-scholarship I-AA and D-II schools), it seems like they'll have a hell of a time moving from that to full-on CAA play in two seasons.

If Mason adds, then Delaware would move to the North Division (assuming Villanova will have already moved there in 2011 once Georgia State joins the South). Isn't there talk Northeastern might drop its football program?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Herb Donaldson is the truth.

SIU will beat SDSU and UNI will ultimately win the league.

Yes.

Someone unfortunate beat writer is going to spend eight hours of flight time (at best) just to find that out!

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I did hear that about Northeastern, but I'm not exactly sure how far along they are in those discussions. Bad team, even worse facilities. Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

GMU's 2008 opponents

Lincoln (Pa.) (D-III)
    Walter Reed Military
    Stevens Tech
    Newport News Apprentice (D-III)
    Valley Forge Military
    Edward Waters (D-III)
    Williamson Tech
    Radford (club)
    Louisburg
    Hargrave Military

It seems that GMU and Radford have a fairly unique status as club teams. They can play NCAA members, JCs, private organizations, or prep schools.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Since Western Illinois beat them 56-0 a couple of weeks ago (sadly, had to miss that game), the Bison could hang a similar number.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I think Western Illinois wins. First game back (officially) for Coach Patterson, plus it will be a huge crowd. UNI probably will be without the starting QB.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

From everything I'm hearing, a lot of people want the job -- or at least think they do without looking under the hood. The top names right now, based purely on the chatter I'm hearing, are Randy Sanders (QB coach at Kentucky, longtime UT assistant) and Mark Hudspeth (UNA coach). Others that pop up are Jason Simpson (UT-Martin coach), Carl Torbush (DC at Carson-Newman/former UNC coach -- AD is a UNC guy), Mike DuBose (Millsaps coach/former Bama coach) and Tony Ball (UGA RB coach and UTC alum).

As for great games this weekend, don't overlook Chattanooga at Western Carolina -- they're a combined 0-9 in conference games this season and 4-33 in conference games during the past three seasons. It should be college football at its finest.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And it's on the new turf in Cullowhee.

Cullowheeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I covered a game at Western this year and I'm still not sure how I got there.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

http://hammondbacon.blogspot.com/2008/10/youngstown-dies-of-apparent-suicide.html

Draft saved Draft deleted