1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCS Playoffs: Road to Chattanooga

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Highway 101, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They are also going to add four spots to make it 20 teams, which is a step in the right direction.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So what are you trying to say.. .

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Indiana State got dicked. They won a game. Does the committee know how hard that is for them?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

By Greg Johnson
    The NCAA News
    The Football Championship Subdivision title game will move from December to the eve of the Bowl Championship Series national championship game in January for the 2010 season.
    The administrative committee of the Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet approved the Division I Football Championship Committee’s recommendation earlier this month.
    The FCS bracket will expand from 16 to 20 teams in 2010. The additional round of the postseason spurred the football committee to explore ways to enhance the sport without starting the football season earlier or compromising the regular-season bye week for teams.
    Under the proposal, the postseason tournament would begin Thanksgiving weekend and continue on a weekly basis. The semifinals would be on campus sites in mid-December, with the two winners receiving a break until the first week of January 2011 when the title game would be played on the eve of the BCS national championship game.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

That was announced about a year ago.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Definitely old news, but also worthy of another mention....

I like the change. Hopefully, it'll bring more eyeballs to I-AA football.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Someone earlier wrote that they heard a rumor about this. I was simply trying to answer their question.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shit, then they would have had to let Idaho State in. You gotta have standards.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I disagree. Sixteen is enough, but this year I would love for Amarnti Edwards to have an extra week to rest his knee.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

There are 123 teams in the FCS. Only 16 get playoff berths? That's only 13 percent of the field that is eligible to play for a shot at the championship. If you knock it up to 20, that will be 16 percent, which isn't much, but is a bit better.

In the FBS, there are how many bowl game berths for how many teams?

There are 334 eligible teams to make the NCAA basketball tournament and 65 make it, which comes out to 19.4 percent.

The list goes on.

12. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

There are 16 playoff berths and four to five of those, every year, go to teams from the Colonial Athletic Association.

CAA got in five in 2007 (Richmond, Delaware, UNH, James Madison, UMass), and four this year (Richmond - seed, Villanova - seed, William & Mary and UNH).

Every other conference is very lucky if they get an at-large.

Draft saved Draft deleted