1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCS Playoffs: Road to Chattanooga

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Highway 101, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The one thing I've never liked is that the championship game is on Friday night. I wish it were on a Saturday afternoon.

Just my selfishness.

2. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Ryan, I think Maine is where visitors have to dress in the hockey arena. Though it could have been both.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ah. You might be right Karl. My bad.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Central CT State did beat Monmouth, coming from 19 points down in the 4TH quarter and won the NEC and was left out of the playoffs.

Final Four: Wm and Mary beats NH to win the east and Montana beats Richmond in the west.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll take Appalachian State vs. William & Mary, and the Mountaineers win their fourth title in five years.

By the way, the top half of the bracket is brutal. Both Richmond, Appalachian State and Montana could all lose in the first round.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The CAA represented ridiculously well. With the fits they gave some ACC teams early in the season (and the job Villanova did on Temple), I'm not sure they don't have a case to make for being made into a BCS conference. They are more interesting than the Big East.

I'll go with Montana and Richmond in one seminfinal. And Villlanova and Southern Ill. in the other semifinal. The final is a rematch of Richmond/Villanova, which was a great game the first time around. ... And as much as I have a mancrush on Mike London. ... Villanova wins again.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

UR has to beat Elon (9-2, Ls to Appy and Wake) and then App. State to get that far. Both at home but a tough road.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is ODU eligible for postseason play? First-year programs usually aren't.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think, since ODU is a full member of FCS and not a provisional one, they could theoretically get in. Not that they would, of course, because they play an awful schedule.

It's not the same as a school in transition between Division II and I where they spend a few years making the move, and they don't get to be in the playoffs until they complete the transition.

Christopher Newport made the D-III playoffs as a first-year program a few years ago when they won the USA South Conference title (might have still been the Dixie Conference back then, I forget).

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's good to see the Southland Conference get two bids (McNeese State and SFA). The Cowboys are pretty good and should make it to Chattanooga. Tough road though.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Like with everything else in life, you can blame ESPN. CBS used to carry the I-AA game on a Saturday. Then ESPN sank its fangs into it in 1995 and *poof* Friday Night Lights.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Rumor has it the FCS title game will move to early January starting next season.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Draft saved Draft deleted