1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCC Rebuked By Courts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/04/AR2007060400875.html?hpid=topnews

I can't say I'm too dismayed by what the courts did here. I'm kind of tired of the FCC deciding what I and others should be able to watch. There's a reason we have remote controls anymore.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fuck the fucking FCC. That is all.

3. Sooner or later, this decision falls to a higher court.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Since when has the FCC given a flying fuck about violence? You can all but see a bullet pancake out the back of a fucking skull during some police shows, but Oh, Lord, infant baby Jesus, you show the outline of a breast and it's a $1 million fine PER FUCKING STATION!

Protect us from sex and foul language, GOP FCC. Jeebus wants it that way!

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

In what way does the FCC even purport to protect people from violence over the airwaves?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That was kind of my point.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Simon, a little common sense test here:

What's worse? Violence, bad language or hinted sexuality?

8. This is my favorite part of this ruling (from today;s NYT):

"Adopting an argument made by lawyers for NBC, the judges then cited examples in which Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney had used the same language that would be penalized under the policy. Mr. Bush was caught on videotape last July using a common vulgarity that the commission finds objectionable in a conversation with Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain. Three years ago, Mr. Cheney was widely reported to have muttered an angry obscene version of “get lost” to Senator Patrick Leahy on the floor of the United States Senate. "

Yeah, boys. Civility sucks, doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted