1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCC Fines ABC $1.4 million for '03 T & A

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jan 26, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good thing the FCC doesn't rule in Canada.

CBC would be shut down tomorrow.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if I remember correctly, Sharon Lawrence also shows off hers in the same episode. That tradeoff ain't bad.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

For a while it seemed like every episode of Blue featured a shot of somebody's ass.

And why are they just processing this shit now?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Even Dennis himself would say ABC should be fined $14 million for showing his ass on camera. :)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"That's going to be very clean"

Funny scene.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The FCC as a government entity is in direct violation of the First Amendment and should be dissolved. That is all.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll file an amicus brief if you bring the case.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I wonder if they're ever going to get around to fining Soupy Sales for telling a bunch of kids to go into their parents' wallets and send him all the green pieces of paper they find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soupy_Sales

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Posted: Tue., Feb. 19, 2008, 7:27pm PT

FCC upholds 'NYPD Blue' ruling
    Breasts, buttocks declared 'sexual organs'
    By CYNTHIA LITTLETON
    The FCC has a message for ABC: Buttocks and breasts do count as "sexual or excretory organs."

The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday upheld its ruling that 45 ABC affiliates are obligated to shell out a total of $1.2 million in fines for airing a seg of "NYPD Blue" that included a shot of a woman's bare backside and a sidelong glimpse of her bare breasts.

The commissioners even needled ABC about its creative approaches to fighting the fines.

"While their responses ... are brimming with medical definitions and arguments, the respondents offer no legal or public policy reason for their argument, and we find it lacking in merit," the commission wrote.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981160.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have yet to hear a single argument that convinces me that showing a glimpse of a bare buttock or the side of a breast is worse than the gore and murders featured on other popular, rather mainstream shows.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow.

The Grannies have won.

Pathetic.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Only in the sense that you think there should be no rules governing any aspect of human behavior.

Draft saved Draft deleted