1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCC approves XM-Sirius merger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

Dear dixiehack:

Oh. Crap.

Worst thing I've heard in a long time.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So if my new car came with sirius built in am I now fucked and have to pony up for a new module?

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Amen.

4. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

As of early this week, Opie and Anthony were still awaiting word on their contract extension.

I cancelled my XM service when O&A were suspended last year for what a homeless gent said about Condi and Laura. I will toss my two receivers if O&A - the platform's top subscriber draw - are not given a multi-year deal.

As for a monopoly - yes it is a monopoly. But, like MLB, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. The costs are prohbitive for real competition but the product is quality so approval was warranted

Now, if anyone wants to argue media consolidation has been good for commercial radio - feel free, I'd love to know how Citadel and Clear Channel's dominance has spurred quality and diversified music air play.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Dear whoever; Let me keep Sirius' music, and let me add MLB and O/A.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if the merger could be the end of O&A on satellite.

I hope not. I used to listen to the show before it went to XM, and while it's nowhere close to the level of Stern's show, it's still pretty damn good...

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

If O&A gets dropped, I'll likely drop XM. Big Ten football/basketball and a certain AL East team's broadcasts are nice, but ultimately not worth it.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, you'll still get the original Sirius stuff.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

With Cumulus being the only real radio player in my market, and most of their commercials being about ... well, how do I put it ... Cumulus? Satellite radio, no matter its form, is looking mighty good right about now. If I can take XM plus the NFL games off of Sirius, I would be a mighty happy camper.

Draft saved Draft deleted