1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in American Sports History.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

At what point are college basketball writers considered complicit in this?

Seen a lot of "everybody knew this was going on" reactions.

Reminds me of the steroid-era baseball writers.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now they can be vindictive douchebags and not vote them in the hall of fame as punishment.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The NCAA will again put it investigation into UNC on hold to devote the next 7years to this inquiry.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize the Hoop Hall is pretty lenient - but you wonder how much damage you could do to the sport, within the sport and still have your other accomplishments be enough to get you in. How many coaches who have led programs put on probation are in the Hall?

A - Tarkanian, Pitino, Calipari, Larry Brown, Calhoun, Boeheim and I'm guessing Williams will join that club as well (all since 2000).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When did Wetzel's "Sole Influence" come out? Late 1990s? None of this is all that new.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I suspect that you'll see some people contact the investigators and flip on their own, trying to get ahead of the FBI. That is particularly likely if they have any overt connections to people who have already been revealed as under investigation.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Nothing will change on this front because as soon as the coaches are eligible under their stupid rules, they sail in. Pitino went in four years ago. They put in Calipari two years ago.

Hell, who isn't in already who should be? K, Roy, Pitino, Izzo, Calipari, Self, Boeheim are in and the next four active in wins not in are Huggins, Beilein, Barnes and Larranaga. Huggins probably is the only one of that group and Larranaga is right at 600 wins. The next active guy is below that mark.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is just a fashionable thing to write?

The NCAA is at fault because coaches cheated?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're complicit and have been for a long time.

Stoney and SnarkShark like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Heard of "Sole Influence"? Important book. The Post did a series a decade or more ago about the bogus prep school industry. I could go on. Not nearly the same level of complicity as in baseball.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Ding ding. You have nailed the 3-pointer at the buzzer.

Draft saved Draft deleted