1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Met Dale Sr. in Charlotte circa 1986, when he was still driving for Wrangler. Couldn't have been nicer, even though he was chilling out, in the back of a darkened delivery truck, an hour before the race.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think you were thinking of the field hockey coach.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ha! I had the opposite reaction, naturally. I love that so many people have invested so much in him.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The last sentence pretty much sums up 99 percent of college sports. We need to admit the whole thing has become a money grab among a bunch of liars, cheats, thieves and whores who don't give a damn why colleges and universities exist in the first place.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has become?

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

When I read the details of the UNC fake academic department scandal, my jaw dropped at the sheer audacity and severity of it. That shit shocked me.
    When I read the details of this scandal, I yawn at the comparative harmlessness of it. There's nothing here we didn't already know was going on rampantly.

Yet UNC ended up getting off scot-free with no punishment whatsoever.
    Meanwhile, this is being talked about like an Earth-shaking thing that's gonna level programs and fundamentally alter the sport.

Makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    JC likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. So far, I was thinking that there was going to be something really dirty in this, like players being forced to play for a school upon threats of physical harm while other guys were getting paid by boosters, or something like that.

Getting loans, or paid for going to a school?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Meh. Deadspin always wants to fuck the man. But it needs "the man" so badly in order to stay afloat as the media outlet that, well, fucks the man.

Barry's rant is boring. You know what it's going to say before you read it, then it says what you expected, then it curses some more, then it puts the system on trial, which is what postmodernists always do.

Who gives a shit? Deadspin does. It just does so by pretending not to.

Songbird likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not until the bullshit about Tom Izzo and Mike Kyssysshefsky ... about being molders of men, community center pieces and examples of integrity are eradicated from any coverage of college sports. The highest paid person on a University campus, and in a State school they are also the highest paid state employee, are making their lives and grandchildren’s lives on the backs of unpaid employees. Fuck them roughly with a chain saw. Their are paragons of capitalism not education

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I feel like this is an appropriate time to note (again) that Katie Ledecky kept $350,000 in Olympic bonuses and is swimming for Stanford.

lcjjdnh and Stoney like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you paid the athletes, which meant you’d have to tax them, and then made them pay for college classes in order to attend the school, would that satisfy your desire to see them paid?

Draft saved Draft deleted