1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, do we want to burn down the NCAA or don't we? Maybe this is the beginning of that.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This glacial Aussie driveway gunner is the only recruit willing to play for a program that's been a 1 seed twice in the last four years. YOU LOOK TONY BENNETT IN THE EYE AND TELL HIM IT'S A VICTIMLESS CRIME.

3. Steak Snabler

Well, here's the thing ... one of the agents involved had been sanctioned for charging $42,000 in Uber rides to one of his clients' credit cards. That same agent paid Chuck Person to steer Austin Wiley to him when he turned pro. So maybe there's one (potential) victim.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who's the victim in that scenario? The client? What if the client is part of the recruitment?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't get it. What player has a $42k limit on his credit card?

How many rides does it take to rack up $42k in Uber charges?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter why the FBI and the Feds are involved now. They are. And this should be making the coach of every revenue-producing sport in college reaching for the Pepto-Bismal. It's no longer an issue of trying to fool the NCAA any longer. You pay a kid or his family and you may go to Federal pound me in the ass prison.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Rick Pitino better be dusting off his best "I didn't know" excuses. This might be the end of him. From espn.com:

"The FBI complaint against Gatto and others also includes a reference to a "public research university located in Kentucky," and sources told ESPN that it's the University of Louisville. The complaint says the school has an enrollment of approximately 22,640, which matches Louisville's during the 2016-17 academic year, and that the school offers approximately 21 varsity sports teams, which is the number the Cardinals offer, according to the athletics department's website.

The allegations against the unnamed school in Kentucky, which is identified as "University-6" in the complaint, include payments of $100,000 from a sports apparel company to the family of an unnamed player, identified as "Player 10," to ensure him signing with the school.

In a sworn statement from FBI agent John Vourderis, he wrote: "I have learned that in or around May of 2017, at the request of at least once coach from University-6, Dawkins, James Gatto, a/k/a "Jim," Merl Code, Munish Sood, the defendants, and other agreed to funnel $100,000 (payable in four installments) from Company-1 to the family of Player-10. Shortly after the agreement with the family of Player-10 was reached in late May or early June, Player-10 publicly committed to University-6."

The indictment also says that prior to paying Player-10's family, the defendants "first needed time to generate a sham purchase order and invoice ostensibly to justify using Company-1 funds since they could not lawfully pay the family of Player-10 directly and risk that such prohibited payments be revealed."

A University of Louisville athletics department spokesperson said the school was unaware of the investigation until Tuesday and didn't yet have a statement. High-ranking members of the Louisville athletics department were meeting on Tuesday morning."

8. poindexter

Cleveland State and Long Beach State are now very worried.

I know its an old cliched joke on this board, but feds or not, I will yawn until I see big boys actually taken down.

9. poindexter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The victim was ASM Sports -- where he worked (and was fired from because of it). They ate the cost of the Uber rides. And that had nothing to do with any of this. It was an NBA player. ... who had handed over his financial affairs to them. It had zero to do with THIS. Totally unrelated.

That's what should be raising warning flags on this. That AG stood up and conflated a gazillion unrelated things that had zero to do with their actual indictment. ... to try all of the people they arrested publicly in a nationally televised news conference that conflated everything they could possibly come up with to smear them and influence public sentiment.

Yeah, if the point is that many agents are sleazeballs, and some people who are in businesses that deal with a lot of money steal. ... they sold me.

Of course, that isn't what these indictments were about.

11. Steak Snabler

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This actually came up on another thread a while back. A popular agent trick is to tell a college player to go to his bank and apply for a credit card. The bank will give him a card with a high limit so the player has spending money in college, then the agent pays it off once the kid is out of school and signs with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted