1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Tenn and Nebraska were the first big NCAA schools to go with Adidas in the 90s, when the Yankees also were Adidas. Except Jeter and most of the other better players already were with Nike.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We are going to find out that Adidas paid some 17-year-old basketball players money via some sleazy "agents" to enroll at certain schools and sign agreements to be repped by the agents if they make it to NBA.

Why the FBI and our Federal government is involved in that is beyond me. But we'll get tut tuts from all corners.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

All the names, from Business Insider.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The sanctity of college sports must upheld.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Merl Code! I loved watching that guy at Clemson. Those Rick Barnes teams were a lot of fun.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you think the men's basketball team at UT picks the AD uniform provider, I've got a Champions for Life ring to sell you.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Six-figure bribes changed hands. That's a pretty big deal.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bribes for what?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I laughed:

Hermes, heyabbott, MTM and 7 others like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FBI said other interviews are ongoing.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why is it a big deal?

It's only a "bribe" in a world in which you are pretending to be something you're not. Otherwise, those kids have a seriously marketable talent. It's huge money.

Let's say I am a software engineer. And I use a recruiter to try to market my abilities to companies that need what I can offer and that recruiter gets paid by the company if I get placed. Is that a bribe? Am I a victim if I don't (or do) choose a good recruiter?

This is such a victimless crime. Yet, I watched that Federal AG stand there and grandstand like he was Laurence Olivier. If I was one of those FBI agents, I'd be embarrassed. This was grandstanding silliness.

Draft saved Draft deleted