1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC (yeah, that's right, we roll like AP) week 9 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 26, 2009.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I don't know. At Oklahoma, home to Kansas and Missouri, at Nebraska ... Powercat could easily go 2-2, if not 1-3, in that stretch.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've seen all five of those teams play at least twice this year -- if K-State goes 0-4, I wouldn't be shocked. Just depends on which opposing team shows up.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's every year.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I foresee a crazy 3 or 4 way tie for first place in the Big XII north, every team having 3 or 4 losses.

Something like 2002 where Auburn, Arkansas, and LSU all finished tied for second in the SEC West with a 5-3 record, 1 game behind 6-2 Alabama, which was on probation at the time. Arkansas defeated LSU on a last second pass in the final game of the regular season to make it to Atlanta.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The possibility still exists for a five-way tie at 3-5 in the North.

6. bwright

bwright Member

About 4,000 watched it live.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For the Alpha and Omega of crazy first-place ties I give you the 1994 Southwest Conference.

Texas 4-3
    TCU 4-3
    Baylor 4-3
    Texas Tech 4-3
    Rice 4-3
    Houston 1-6
    SMU 0-6-1
    Texas A&M 6-0-1*

*- on probation

A&M actually finished 10-0-1 on the season but was ineligible for the conference title and postseason play.

Texas Tech won the convoluted tiebreaker for the Cotton Bowl berth due to the fact it had never played in that game as a member of the Southwest Conference.

Rice folks are still bitter about that because the tiebreaker was the team that hadn't been to the Cotton Bowl in the longest.

Rice felt it should have been the rep because Tech had only been a member since the 70s and their Cotton Bowl eligibility clock should start there. But Tech had played in the game back in the 30s or 40s before it was an SWC member and the league counted from there instead of from it's date of membership.

Of course Tech went on to get boat-raced by Keyshawn Johnson and USC. I shudder to think about the unspeakable things the Trojans would have done to the Owls.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The splendor, the wonder that is ... Conference USA football. BTW, Tommy West is so fired after this season.

9. bwright

bwright Member

I don't think there's any chance of that not being true.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I haven't done the math, but one of the guys at EDSBS pointed out that it is possible that Kansas State could win the Big 12 North and end up bowl ineligible. I'm guessing that's probably true for one or two other teams as well.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think North Texas played in the New Orleans Bowl a couple of years ago with a 5-6 record. The got the automatic bid as the Sun Belt champion.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

2001. They got hosed by Colorado State. (Yes, I looked that up.)

I don't think there's an automatic bid for the Big 12 title game loser, though, is there?

Draft saved Draft deleted