1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 8 thread: What the Buck (Belue)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Will note that Boise hasn't faced an SEC team since 2005, which was one coach, a passel of
    wicked recruits, and a long, long time ago.

Now, this is a very nice SouthCaro team. Spurrier's earning his money, as he did at Duke, raising
    the dead. But Boise would handle them, on a neutral.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The Beavs play home games on a blue turf field? When did that start happening?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Apparently Boise gets credit for road wins when they play at home now.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tommy Tuberville would like to remind you that even unbeaten SEC teams get left out of the national championship game.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Va. Tech is ranked because they've won six straight and there's no one else to rank. The only win in that six that even remotely approaches respectability is against N.C. State, which just managed to lose to East Carolina.

Hawaii and Nevada have one decent win each, and Hawaii's only barely counts because it was against Nevada and someone had to win. (Meaning it was guaranteed to be a decent win for someone.)

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well on the one hand you're excusing Bama for losing games because of its schedule. Do you think Va Tech loses to James Madison if they play that game any other week of the season? If there was EVER a time for a team full of players who were spurned by Tech to play against Tech, it'd be FOUR DAYS after a tough loss in a nationally televised game that went down to the wire.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute -- are you really going to compare a loss at home to a Division I-AA team - which has 62 players and not likely more than four or five who could start for Virginia Tech - to a loss in an SEC game on the road to another SEC team?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're the one who started making excuses for a team that got thumped. If you want to do that I'm just saying I can play the same game. It's weak sauce on either side if you ask me though.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, he's just saying that the Tech-JMU game was an absolute fluke, and that JMU caught Tech in the perfect circumstance. It happens. Tech wins that game 99 times out of 100. That happened to be the one.

JMU is not even a very good FCS team. Awful on offense. Terrific defense though.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It may have been a fluke but it should never happen.

And it is not even in the same category of South Carolina losing on the road at Kentucky - which is presumably reasonably close in talent to the Gamecocks.

You can't have a letdown in the SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10 because for the most part, the teams at the bottom of the conference are capable of beating you as the difference in talent between Alabama and South Carolina is probably less than 10 percent.

That is not the case with Boise State in the WAC as the difference between them and pretty much everyone else is so enormous they can have a few letdowns - and do - and survive.

That's why a 1-loss Alabama team should be ahead of a no-loss Boise.

There is no comparison between the road the two had to take to get there.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Oregon very well could get beat. I just don't think it will (as long as it stays healthy).

If the Ducks had to go to 'Zona, I'd be more worried about that one. And, sorry, Oregon State may get better as the season goes on, and it may be a rivalry game, and it may be in Corvallis. But Oregon State almost lost -- in Corvallis, no less -- to Louisville, and that was with James Rodgers. Oregon State better get a lot better in a hurry if it's going to stick with Oregon.

I've watched Oregon play three times this year, and I've yet to see a better football team.

Draft saved Draft deleted