1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 7 thread: O, Rhett Bomar, what could have been

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There's no excuse for the linebackers but the secondary issues are a result of bad luck more than anything.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's fucking nuts! Tressel is one of the best coaches in the country.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's all I hope Minnesota does as well.

I could only imagine the charts and statistical analysis Nielson would show up with at U of M...and the reaction of the "powers that be" when they think of the non-intellectual approach Brewster probably took.

People will say, "oh a Division II coach can't recruit!". Well, Brewster had highly-ranked classes at Minnesota. Recruiting doesn't matter if you can't coach during the game.

Nielson is becoming to Minnesota football circles what Bo Ryan was in Wisconsin basketball circles before the Badgers hired him. Wins at every level.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The road to oblivion is littered with coaches who could recruit. Jim Donnan never lost a signing day.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. A staff of recruiters is nice but they better be able to coach a little bit.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Minnesota casting a wide net and talking to every potential candidate. I have friends who played for Malosky at UMD and I remember the Ted Mcknight days. See what Nielson's got, fine. He's got a good thing going at UMD. Is he going to be able to get the 'arms and legs' as Holtz used to say? That's not going to come from Minnesota. That's my concern.

Minnesota has to get someone with the complete package.

Last time they got a guy whose main credentials were working for Mack Brown and being a position coach in the NFL. Hell, the President of the university only talked to him by phone, not in person, before the hire.

Minnesota needs to treat this search like it matters, not get someone on the cheap, which they did with Brewster. Ex, we have to agree to disagree on the glitzy thing. He started at $800K per year and ended up around one mil. He was brought in on potential and it didn't pan out.

If they were still in the Dome I'd say fine, go for the UMD guy. But with TCF Bank Stadium the stakes are much, much higher, especially after the Brewster failure.

Again, cast a wide net but make sure the person who gets the job is qualified.

And Glen Mason does what he can to help out. He seems to have moved on nicely. Or not:

"They fired Murray Warmath, they fired me, they fired Tim Brewster," said Mason, who went 64-57 in a decade in Minneapolis. "They're not losing a lot of coaches to retirement."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/105226969.html?page=3&c=y

To be fair, Mason does say in the piece that you can win at Minnesota, but somehow I don't think that quote will make it into the living rooms where mom and dad are meeting with coaches/recruiters from other programs.

Maybe Mason can now get the Ohio State job he so wanted. I hear the fans there are unhappy and want a change.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nice quote by Mason.

I was waiting to see if any of the Twin Cities media would "poke the bear" and ask Mace what we thought. Solid.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Nielson says no Glenn Caruso might be interested if the The Gopher is willing to wait 'til the Stagg Bowl is over.

Draft saved Draft deleted