1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 7 thread: O, Rhett Bomar, what could have been

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 11, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Here is what I have my eye on this week:

--West Virginia will kick the crap out of South Florida
    --Syracuse will keep Pittsburgh reeling
    --Missouri will beat Texas A&M on a defensive play
    --Michigan will defeat Iowa
    --Texas Tech will get past Oklahoma State; a combined 90+ points
    --Auburn will edge Arkansas
    --Nebraska will kick the crap out of Texas
    --Wisconsin will beat Ohio State; I just don't trust Pryor enough yet in a road matchup of this magnitude

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My take:

Yes
    No
    Yes
    No
    Yes, but I don't like the 90 point prediction.
    Auburn beats Hogs by 10+
    Yes
    Pryor was nails in the Rose Bowl. I think he'll be fine at Camp Randall. Suckeyes win.

Was going to list another SEC game of interest, but the closest I could come up with was Mississippi State at Florida. I dunno who that interests, but ... Brantley takes a big hit early and the Bulldogs find a way to get it done.

There, I said it.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My prediction for the week: Tolzien throws at least one pick-6 against the Buckeyes.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Syracuse by 17.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State's James Rodgers out for the season with a knee injury. Averaged about 180 all-purpose yards.

Injured when tackled about 5-7 yards into the end zone on a TD pass (that was nullified). Not a dirty play, but an unnecessary one as the defender could have easily let go once it became obvious they were in the end zone.

Robert Smith on ESPN had a good idea, to treat the EZ like out-of-bounds, to prevent late hits that defenders often out on offensive players well after they're in the EZ.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The difference is that on the type of out-of-bounds plays you're talking about, the receiver/runner has already established possession before the hit. That's not always the case in the end zone.

7. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I'm not saying your prediction is wrong, or that Pryor will play well, but he did lead OSU to a win at Wisconsin two years ago -- directing a late, game-winning drive in his third start, when both teams were ranked.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

After a player who caught a pass at the 25 or so has taken 3-4 steps in the end zone, I'd say possession has clearly been established. The type play I'm talking about starts at about the 55-second mark of this video.

http://www.kgw.com/sports/oregon-state-football-beavers-arizona-104663989.html

Should have been flagged. Totally unnecessary. Hits on a player as he catches the ball would be excepted, as are hits on a player immediately at the boundary.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Who in OSU's practice-squad secondary would catch it?

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I think those were Holtz's predictions, too.
    Either that, or he was giving his recipe for sweet potato pie. I can never tell what he's saying.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would pay good money for taped evidence of Holtz saying "kicked the crap out of..."

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In that situation, then, you don't need a separate rule. Ball's dead. Play's over. All it needs is a "point of emphasis" or whatever they call it.

The most obvious drawback is that the defender's going to have a legitimate defense to "I didn't hear the whistle," at least when it's the home team scoring.

Draft saved Draft deleted