1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 6 thread: Spirit of Jasper Howard lives on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 4, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Defensive much?

2. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Count me as an Alabama fan who doesn't understand why South Carolina wasn't ranked higher than 'Bama or LSU. I could see being ranked lower than Auburn for that loss, but No. 10 behind the team it beats and the team that's going to eventually run out of luck? Odd puts it mildly.

Anyway, the bitching I hear here in Bronco Nation is "We beat Oregon last year! We should be ranked higher!"

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They should be ranked higher because no other team can make the case that they've played better as of right now.
    They beat VTech (near their home turf) so bad that the Hokies lost the next week as well. (and have since beaten a not that bad NC State team)
    They beat Oregon State which beat a #9 Arizona team on the road.

You can say Ohio State or Nebraska is better but the only argument you would have is "just because."
    You can say Oregon is better saying their win over Stanford is more impressive than either of Boise's big wins.
    You can say Oklahoma's wins over Florida State and Texas are better than either Bronco win as well.
    But in any of these cases - it's not a slam dunk.

Beavers got some bad news and good news today. James Rodgers is out for the year with a knee injury. The good news is that he still has a medical redshirt and should be back next year for another senior year.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So where would you put Alabama? Should they fall completely out of the Top 10 because they lost on the road to the third straight ranked team they had played? I think 8 sounds about right.

South Carolina was 19 last week. Where do you put them this week? Teams 2-7 all won, so the Gamecocks probably shouldn't jump ahead of any of them. Auburn was No. 8 last week (now No. 7), and they beat South Carolina head-to-head, so you can't jump the Gamecocks any higher than 8, right?

It's a complicated equation, and not as simple as saying "anyone with a win against a team ranked in the Top 25 should be ahead of that team."

But as I said a few pages back, it will all work itself out. If Alabama wins out, South Carolina will probably get a chance to beat them again. If Alabama loses another game and USC does not, they'll drop behind them in the rankings anyway.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Medical redshits are usually granted if the team/player has played three games or less. He will have to petition to get the extra year.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The rule has changed to 30 percent of the total season (in the first half of the season) from the old 20 percent. So. .30 x 12 = 3.6 games, or four rounded up. Rodgers missed one game with a concussion and has only played in four games.

He'll have to petition the Pac-10, just like anyone else, but the hardship and fifth year will be granted because he meets all the criteria.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Houston is applying for one for Case Keenum too.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama's Dont'a Hightower got one for last year as well, even though he played into the season's fourth game.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's always bothered me that a player who redshirts as a freshman, then gets hurt and misses all or part of another season, can't get an extra year because the NCAA says he/she could have played instead of redshirting as a true freshman.

This is the same NCAA which has advocated football players not to compete as true freshman so they can acclimate academically and socially to college and so their bodies mature.

So they get redshirted and do just that, then are punished later down the road if they get hurt and want that extra year.

10. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I'd put Alabama at 10 or 11, but then again, I'm another crazy Bammer alum that's going to start FireNickSaban.com after one more loss.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm kind of bummed the Pac 10 seems headed for a North-South split, the rub is whether Colorado Utah are "the south" or Cal-Stanford is "the south."
    I think Cal and Stanford have to have home and road games with the LAs, but Colorado and Utah share a border with Arizona so it would seem to be a more natural fit.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If they were to grant another redshirt year for guys who sat out as freshmen and were hurt during another season, would that mean they would be on scholarship for six years? Maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not saying they shouldn't grant another year, but six years is a long time to pay for some kid's education.

Draft saved Draft deleted