1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 5 thread: Paul Hornung? You bet!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, it might have been mutual. Oregon's scheduling situation is going to change when the Pac-10 expands. It might be that they continue their aggressive scheduling, but they're probably going to need a little added flexibility. So they wait to see how the chips fall, then go out and negotiate new contracts. Or something like that.

As for Georgia, I understand why they're doing it, but I don't agree with it, and I think the criticism is deserved. I think Georgia had done a lot to dispel the notion of weak SEC OOC scheduling, and this undermines all of that. But it's what the new AD wants, and we know where he came from. He's going for seven home games a year. As it stands, Georgia has nine permanent opponents every year and only ever plays four of those games at home in any given season.

So if you want seven home games, you have to get every single other OOC opponent to play without a return game. I think it's piss-poor. Having said that, of course, I won't argue with the results if it ends with Georgia winning a national title. As though that's conceivable right now.

Incidentally, the Georgia-Oregon contract was negotiated stupidly anyway. Georgia was going to play at Oregon in whichever year it also played at Georgia Tech. Should have split those two up.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

La-Monroe (+35) at Auburn....Ask Bama how that turns out.
    N.C. State (+4) at home vs. VT....Really?
    Maryland (-7.5) at home vs. Duke....Maryland might score 50.
    Stanford (+7) at Oregon.....Stanford will win outright.
    Florida (+9) at Alabama.....Hey Julio, keep one eye on the DB, the other on your legs.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Problem is Maryland will give up 45, and all of those points will be scored on third down.

Seriously, forget the Big 10. Maryland might want to go to the CFL, because the defense is great at stopping teams on first and second down. If only they could make teams punt on third down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good point. While 45 might be too much, I'll take a 50-40 score. :)

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Of course, Oregon's new AD is from the SEC. So maybe he'll dumb down their schedules too.

If Georgia (or Florida) want to use the "must have more home games" excuse, then adopt a 9-game SEC schedule, insuring at least five home league games every other year, and quit playing in Jacksonville, just as Auburn and Alabama quit playing in Birmingham, a tradition just as deep as the WLOCP.

But of course, the money is too good. And SEC teams - like Big Ten teams - would rather play a fourth OOC cupcake than another conference game.

6. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Hey, this might be a dumb question (and I'm ok with that), but when do they update the weekly coverage maps? I'll probably cry if I can't get OU/TX.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Thats sort of a reach, but, whatever.
    The guy spent some learning time in Lexington, but is from other places.
    Mainly West Virginia.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/09/new_oregon_athletic_director_r_1.html

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were Jim Brown, even at both of our advanced ages, I would travel to Paul Hornung's house, kick down the door, give him a hearty bitch slap, grab the Heisman Trophy, then go throw it into the nearest river.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/paul-hornung-1.html

3 TDs, 13 INTS. 420 yards rushing. For a 2-8 team.

A goddamn abomination. Anybody who voted for Hornung should have been publicly stripped of their vote and awarded an honorary KKK membership. Forget Reggie Bush, this is the Heisman award the Heisman Trust should go back and vacate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The bulk of Mullens' career as an athletic department administrator with any sort of upper-level responsibility was at Kentucky, starting in 2002. And Kentucky hasn't played a road OOC game at anywhere except Bloomington, Cincinnati or Louisville since 1990.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dude, the ACC is ass, but the Big East is already there.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe 1956 is the final season that helmets had no facemasks.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

True. But they've also played a 6-4 game some time in recent memory. Weird.

Best FCS matchup of the week is at the shittier-than-I-expected Bridgeforth Stadium in Harrisonburg, as the Fightin' Blue Hens head to town to face Mickey The Mouth Matthews and James Madison.

Draft saved Draft deleted