1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC: Week 5 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's the thing, parlays are the bigger payoffs odds-wise, and they always drew me in. Last week I thought about doing straight-ups and picking 20 games and hoping to go like 15-5, 16-4, etc. Just didn't pull the tigger to do it. Oh well, it's all money under the bridge now.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, we're grilling this weekend at Casa de Slappy for football... who's coming?

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Isn't that the way it always works? :)

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

This week I'm giving away all but $113 of my check. Yeah, it was that rough of a week even though I picked a lot more winners than losers. Had to start chasing, and once you do that it's all over.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Other than my annual $75 contribution to the winner of my fantasy football league, I don't gamble. Earlier, I was simply talking about the SportsJournalists.com pick 'em game.

In high school, I often bet my lunch money for the week on a Monday night game. I won about half of the time. The good weeks, I had lots to spend on lunch. On the bad weeks, I went without lunch.

I had a friend who knew a bookie, and we placed a few parlay bets through him. I won a few times, but I usually bet four games and got three correct.

If I learned anything, it's that the people who set the spread know a hell of a lot more about the games than little ol' me.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Busted by the Indiana State Excise Police, in contention for biggest douchebags on the planet. Anyone who went to college in Indiana knows these guys, because they're the ones hiding behind bushes outside every dorm every weekend. I understand you've got to enforce alcohol laws, but these glorified rent-a-cops take particular glee in puffing out their sunken chests and letting you know who's the goddam boss. As I understand the stories, NOBODY called the cops to complain about the ND party, but the excise police (and some of the local constabulary) showed up like it was a Cecil B. DeMille film -- a cast of thousands.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nebraska will beat VT by three TDs.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're prolly right. Dammit.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll believe that when I see it. It took a home game against a rusty New Mexico State team just for something resembling a running game to appear. Why people insist on putting Nebraska in their top 25 after such an underwhelming start to the season is beyond me.

I'd take TCU, BYU or Utah over the Huskers at this point.

10. JackReacher

I think the point being made was Nebraska vs. VT, not Nebraska's place in or out of the top 25.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't love Nebraska. But this is just the sort of game this Tech team isn't capable of winning. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

12. JackReacher

I think Tech's offense will have to play mistake free in order to win, and we know that's not happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted